ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost painting

Lost painting

I have lost my painting, it just disapeared when I closed down artrage, is there any way to retrieve it, please say yes as I worked so hard on this and it was almost finished

Hi,

Make a search for .ptg files on all your disks.

Thanks Claudine, I have done that but still could not find it, may have to start all over again

If you have made changes in the painting that have not been saved you should be asked when the application shuts down if you want to save them. The only time this might not happen is if the application is shut down by an operating system error that either shuts down the entire computer or just closes the app without allowing it to prompt. Do you remember anything unusual happening when you finished work on the painting? Did you see the save prompt? If you did and chose to save, the image should still be there and you may be able to see it in the Recent Files menu (in the File Menu).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt, I know what happened after thinking about it, something weird was going on with the file, when I opened it up again to do more painting on it, when I clicked on the file for some reason it came up saying that I already have a file with that name, I knew I had not, ask me if I wanted to replace it, I said no, did this 3 times and still the same action, so finally I renamed it so see if that would work, and thats when it came up with a blank canvas, I have checked all files including Recent files menu, and no luck, so I know now that it is gone, will start over, Matt another thing that is happening is that when I open AR and do nothing it on it, (was just checking it out) it ask me if I want to save it even tho there is nothing there, and when I go to open a file to import to AR and in the open file folder it has 2 AR's listed, have no idea why, I have only 1 AR installed

Matt also noticed that my unfinished painting is also saved in MY Picture when I close AR, never seen that before, this happened with the painting I lost also

When you Open a file, make changes, and save, you should never be prompted that there is another file with than name. The only times you should be prompted are if:

1. You have never saved the file before, and when you go to save, you are using the same name as a file that already exists.

Or:

2. You didn't Open the file, you Imported it, in which case a new copy of the file is created in ArtRage and when you go to save it acts as if you have never saved the file before.

It sounds like you're importing your painting file, which means every time you go to save you'll be asked if you want to overwrite. Just open the file using the Open option and this should never happen. Importing painting files also flattens them, which removes certain information from the canvas such as how thick the paint is, it should only be used if you need to get an image that isn't a painting file in to the product.

Files are only saved to the folder you choose when you first save them, or to the folder they were in when they were opened. ArtRage never automatically saves anything to 'My Pictures' so it's likely that you either imported from that location, or saved there and the application is remembering this.

Regarding having '2 ARs listed' in the file import dialog: That dialog should only display image files or ArtRage painting file, I'm not sure what you mean by having '2 ARs' in there. Do you mean Painting files? If so, you have saved 2 Painting Files to that folder and they are both being listed.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

In my experience very uncharacteristic behaviour by an application suggests a virus. Have you done a full scan of your system? If not I suggest you do so without delay. For what it's worth I use a combination of Comodo Internet Security and Malware Bytes which has served me very well.

Gary

Dave, I have figured it out now, my own fault lol had too many layers and got confused and thats where the problem began, thanks for your quick reply appreciate it
    Gary, thankyou for your reply, no virus, but I know what happened now

I'm glad you don't have a virus.

Matt, does this mean that the application falls down at a certain point if too many layers are being used or when it's consumed too much memory perhaps?