ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Water for Alexandra

Water for Alexandra

ALexandra mentioned that she wanted to try and paint water this year. I promised I would do a WIP on the techniques I use to achieve it.

I start off picking a sky color for the canvas. Then using the ruler, create a straight horizon line. This can be placed above or below the center of the canvas and not in the center. Once you establish your horizon line you will use paint roller at around 100%, using the pick color tool just pick up the sky color. Turn on metallic effect on paint to 52-57%. Pick you paint roller and using the shift right click method try to get a straight line
    from left to right. Begin on the left and go off the canvas from left to right. Keep the paint roller underneath the ruler. You can do this over and over until you get the feel you want..............

What you get is this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	67421  

Next step is darkening the water close to the horizon. Do this with the ruler still in place at the same spot as before. Pick color from water, remember to turn off metallic effect! Go to a slightly darker hue. Using the chalk tool at 28-33% and not a lot of pressure begin to darken the water. Then use the hard out smear knife at 2 - 4% knife in the darker color to the water. Use straight horizontal strokes for this. Using the knife tool you can continue to knife the water for that wavy feel, experiment and undo.

2nd Illustration:

Name:	Water2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	67423  

When I paint in acrylics I use a fan brush for the waves. So I had to get creative and invent another way to do this in AR. Using the glitter tool and set to the round glitter pick a whitish color and using horizontal strokes lay down some glitter. Size gets bigger as you come to the foreground. Knife in the glitter into water. In the knive section is a frosted spots tool. Use this to make your waves. Experiment and undo. Keep knifing water until you get desired effect. I then use the spray gun and chalk to highlight water. Using the pencil at 1% work in foam lines. Experiment and undo.

3rd Illustration

Name:	Water3.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	67424  
    Last edited by Tonyjazz; 06-03-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Tony, this is great. Thank you so very much.
    I made an imaginary little place this morning, before I read your tutorial.
    I will try to do better next time or work on this one I'd made this morning.
    Again, this is beautiful, thank you. I can't wait to try this.