ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Canvas size and resolution

Canvas size and resolution

I was wondering whether or not people here think there's any consensus on the best sizes in which to work. I've read various things about size but I felt a little confused about it. Having painted two abstracts and not really considered the ramifications of size, I was reminded about it after uploading the files to my Deviant Art profile when DA informed me of the sizes of print that would be made available based on my file. In these cases the print sizes were not very impressive as I had chosen to work simply to my laptop's screen size of 1920 X 1080 and I think I chose 150 DPI. By the way, does anyone know where in the application you can see your file's information regarding size and resolution? I'm flummoxed. I thought it would be found somewhere by calling up canvas settings but it's not there. I've looked everywhere now and consulted the manual but there seems to be no way to do this. Can this be correct?

Returning to my main point, what does everyone think is the optimum choice in size and resolution? I know it depends on many factors not least of which is what you hope to do with the image when finished but I'm trying to gauge what might be a very good choice all round, allowing for a decent sized print with high print quality to be made if desired whilst also not being too large a file as to hinder the actual work by slowing the computer down.

I appreciate any advice here.

Gary

I go with the standard 8.5 x 11 size, at 300 dpi, it doesn't bog my computer down any, and allows for some close in detail work, without getting too muddy/pixelated. Obviously I'd flip the canvas to 11x8.5 for landscapes and whatnot.

You can find information on where and how to set canvas size in the manual, page 27 for ArtRage Studio / Studio Pro. The section is 'File size and printing'. If you're using a different version, let us know.

When you create a new painting, you can set the size on that screen directly ( File -> new Painting, click 'print size' ). If you want to set up your work to print, choose your intended physical size and intended DPI. If you want to view the size later, go to Edit -> Resize the canvas and click on 'Print size'

I hope this is of some help. Moving this to the Tech Support forum.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I knew all of that, Dave, apart from how to see the size later by calling up "Resize the painting"!
    I'm still quite surprised that there's no "Info" command or such which would call up all details of the current file. Anyway, glad to know about the other command.

I almost posted this to "Tech" but changed my mind at the last moment. I just wasn't sure where it should go.

Sorry Gary, didn't realise you already had that part sorted out. Regarding deviantart, if you're looking at making prints via their service, I found this page which may be of use:

http://help.deviantart.com/132/

This lists all the sizes for the various prints they offer. This lists size in inches and cm as well as pixel sizes. For anyone else looking at doing similar, this may help:

Here's an example from the page above for a print at 8 x 12 inches:

Size ( inches ) - 8x12
    Size ( cm ) 20x30
    Recommended pixel size ( minimum ) 1200x1800
    Recommended pixel size ( excellent ) 2400x3600

Basically, for their various print sizes Deviantart have two quality levels, minimum and recommended. Their minimum quality is 150 DPI, high quality is 300 DPI. If you multiply inches by 150 and 300 respectively, you'll get the recommended minimum and high quality pixel sizes on the right e.g. 8 x 150 = 1200. 12 inches x 150 = 1800, so an 8 x 12 inch document at 150 DPI would be 1200 x 1800 pixels in size

However, in ArtRage, when you create a painting by going to File -> New, you can click on 'Print Size' and just enter the size in inches, cm or mm, whichever you prefer, then enter the DPI value. ArtRage will set the painting up at the correct size for you.

No problem at all regarding forum sections, we tend to move things to Technical Support when we reply if we think the thread could be useful for other users looking for help. I hope this info is useful, but if you still have questions let me know.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks very much, Dave. That's helpful indeed.