ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Standard palette

Gallery
    View images

Standard palette

First off I'd like to say Artrage is by far the best painting app out there, I have them all and this is far superior to the rest so congrats!
    Anyway, what I'd like to see when I first start a painting is a palette of standard oils, i.e. cadmium yellow, titanium white, sienna etc. all the standard oils I can actually buy off the shelf in an art shop. These would be a great starting palette to every painting and would enhance the authentic oil painting experience even further.
    You may even be able to do this already, maybe I haven't found them yet? I've never been great with computers!
    Keep up the good work, you've done a great job.

Gallery
    View images

Lightbulb workaround for standard oil paint palette???

'what I'd like to see when I first start a painting is a palette of standard oils, i.e. cadmium yellow, titanium white, sienna etc. all the standard oils I can actually buy off the shelf in an art shop.'

I haven't tried this yet, but it's on my list of things to do (and have been doing something similar with respect to varying tool settings and presets) -- mess around with the color palette until you find colors/values close to your desired starting palette elements and then save them as the first few samples in your samples folder - and do it in the order in which you put the real paints on your palette. Alternatively (or additionally) you could take a screen shot of the palette position for each desired classic color; then cut & paste the palette images onto a jpg document (in the desired order, even annotated if you wish) that could be pulled up as a reference when you start the next painting.

It's a pain in the rear, but I've been starting my recent iPad paintings with a burnt sienna underpainting, onto which I rub out highlights using a very soft, low pressure eraser, and then follow with paint colors on top at the values created during the monochromatic value study. I've only done 2 so far, but they're a good start toward a more painterly appoach. Will post them to the gallery so you can see them. (Note: I didn't take the time to fiddle my way to the perfect burnt sienna -- since most of the under-painting will be covered by the time the painting is done.)

Gallery
    View images

Custom Oil Pigments Palette

I have created a custom palette by importing colors of the real pigments I used. My complaint is that it takes up a lot of space--a strip that is three-quarters the height of my screen. I don't need color names taking up so much space with large print. Also, I haven't figured out how to import a tint series for each of these colors. For my first digital painting I created a blank space beside my painting where I mixed colors, but I had to use the color picker each time I wanted to change color. Too slow. So, I haven't figured out how to create a palette that looks and acts like a real painting palette where sometimes I can mix colors and other time I can just move my cursor to the color I want without using the color picker. Any suggestions?

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by BudRudesill View Post
    I have created a custom palette by importing colors of the real pigments I used. My complaint is that it takes up a lot of space--a strip that is three-quarters the height of my screen. I don't need color names taking up so much space with large print. Also, I haven't figured out how to import a tint series for each of these colors. For my first digital painting I created a blank space beside my painting where I mixed colors, but I had to use the color picker each time I wanted to change color. Too slow. So, I haven't figured out how to create a palette that looks and acts like a real painting palette where sometimes I can mix colors and other time I can just move my cursor to the color I want without using the color picker. Any suggestions?
    Hi BudRudesill,

Can you confirm which version of ArtRage you are using? Only because you've posted this question in the iPad forum area, but I just responded to another question of yours (in another thread) that dealt with removing the Sticker pods, which indicates that you're using a version of the program that isn't among the mobile devices.

Assuming you're using the latest version of ArtRage 4, there's a couple things that you may find useful. First, you can hide the names for the colors in the samples panel, using the menu located on the upper right of the panel (shown below).

Name:  showsamplenames.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  90.2 KB

The next thing you might find useful is the "Scrap" feature found on the References panel. With it, you can mix paint on a canvas that's separate your actual painting and can then grab the colors from it by holding "Alt" and Left clicking over the colored area. It may also be hidden using the Reference panel, when not needed. Here's what the panel looks like and how to open it:

Name:  scrapfeature.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  56.2 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry, I'm using Artrage 4.

Gallery
    View images
    If you follow the steps in SOS's post above, but choose 'Add Samples > Select From Collection' instead from the menu, you'll get the option to add preset colour samples, including an oils one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil spectrum colour samples.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	85449
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Gallery
    View images
    HannaRage I dont see this option in the ipad version.
    Christine.

(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)
    Ipad Gallery. http://members.artrage.com/gallery_categories/28

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
    HannaRage I dont see this option in the ipad version.
    The original poster posted in the wrong subforum, they are actually using ArtRage 4. I've moved this thread now (thanks for the reminder, I meant to do it before).

The iPad app doesn't offer any preset sample collections.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    If you follow the steps in SOS's post above, but choose 'Add Samples > Select From Collection' instead from the menu, you'll get the option to add preset colour samples, including an oils one.
    Thank you! I had no idea these presets existed. Super time saver! (No more color picking and importing the standard colors!)