ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Quick and easy gradient

Twaager Guest

Quick and easy gradient

Attachment 67339Attachment 67340

This is an easy way to quickly make a good looking gradient. Say you want an imaga size 900 x 1200 px at 300 dpi. So you start out making a gradient at 20 percent of that size. Just use the Oil Brush and paint the desired colours. Everlasting Oil is quick. I used 100% tool size.

Next: mix the paint using the Palett Knife. My settings are the best for a smooth gradient. Tool size 100%, but that depends of the size of the image of course. Here 100% is good.

Resize the gradient to the final size. In my example I painted the gradient at 225 x 300 pixels and resized it to 900 x 1200 px, 400% that is. This gradient making method is quick and easy. It is.
    Last edited by Twaager; 06-03-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Neat idea! ..looks good
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. (Mark Twain)

Twaager Guest

Not only good...

Thanks for commenting Rowena. And yes, it looks good, but not only good. It looks artistic in a way. And it is very quick and easy. Not looking digital made, so to say,although it is. Compared to a common digital gradient, this way of rendering the thing, is a lot more satisfying for my eye since it resembles "the real thing". Here you can see one gradient made in ArtRage using my method, it's the one to the left, of course. The other is Photoshop made, looking too much digital for my taste.

Cool technique...thanks for sharing
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Thank you Twagger

Very timely. I was looking for a way to make a gradient and did a search and your post was at the top. I will give it a try.

Thanks for the tip. I had tried every knife exept the wet one. wet=water, water and oil don't mix was my thinking.

This is a very helpful tip. I tried it and I like the results. I wanted to see if I could do a radial gradient. Here is a sample.

Thank you for the great tip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circle gradient.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	67444

Great tip. Nice way to have a background of sky and a graduations of darker colors to be used for water.
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne