ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Smooth Color Blending

Smooth Color Blending

I found this tutorial but I cannot duplicate the results.

Is this kind of smooth gradient even possible any more?

http://www.zoran-art.com/2010/tutori...olor-blending/

Thanks!

Sure, there are a lot of ways to get that effect. I use a similar technique to what that tutorial describes, but I prefer to keep oil brushes insta-dry on (see this video for example). I have some posts floating around the forums here, on different ways to use ArtRages tools, that may help. Unfortunately it's late here, and I have to get up early for work, so I can't scrounge them up myself, at the moment. I'll try to remember to get back to this thread tomorrow, to post the links to some of them.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks someonesane. I look forward to any advice you can provide! Just for the record, the main reason I am so confused is because after seeing exactly the kind of smooth gradient I want, I tried to do exactly what he says... with TOTALLY different results. I know ArtRage Version 2 and 3 are different ... but shouldn't his "wet into wet" technique still work? I've had some succuss by completely turning off paper roughness... but this seems ODD and unecessary.

Any help from anyone would greatly be appreciated!

DO

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    I know ArtRage Version 2 and 3 are different ... but shouldn't his "wet into wet" technique still work?
    I'm not sure, actually. The AR team is always at work trying to iron out how the tools work, so that they appeal to the needs of all their AR users. It's possible that there was some tweaking involved, that could've changed how two programs reacted at a certain thinner level. Even using a different drawing tablet, with different pressure settings, can affect the outcome of how a tool responds.

However, having reread the tutorial, I'm wondering if something may have been missed. Only because I've never had much luck properly blending the Oil Brush colors at such high thinner settings, without having the Insta-Dry setting turned ON, rather then off. With it off, the colors almost always turn immediately gray for me, but with it on I can layer the colors like a wash, picking up the intermediate blends by hand, using the Alt button shortcut for the color picker. If I need to a really smooth finish, I switch to the crayon tool, which smears really nicely.

Which version of ArtRage are you using?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I'm using the latest version, 3.5.4 Studio Pro.

That blend looks so smooth... and from the description was straightforward to do...

I'm still experimenting... and looking for pointers!

DO