ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: I pray to dark lord

I pray to dark lord

Hey guys i did this a while back "thinking to study Cloth" but it turned out not as i wanted and lost interest.. any tips for me while doing cloths? i find it very hard :/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloth studi.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	67288

Fakepivot, you started out quite well, I can see where you lost interest lol (the bottom half) cloth and folds take a lot of patience so just keep at it and it will come to you

Sith ith pretty friggin' marvelouth. . . in a dark lord of the Sith, Star Wars, Jedi opposite number sort of way. . .

How does one do cloth. Warm/Cold, a little bleach. . . But I digress. . .

The way to do it is to have good reference and paint what you see, until that time you've done so much of it you know how to fake the pivots and work the stress points. Designing it can be formulaic, but it doesn't give it as lifelike a feel as were you to work from a model.

The down side of that is that good fabric that folds just right is somewhat difficult to find. And you might need a good costume seamstress, etc.

I mean you sort of have it working now. But there are so many considerations that go into it, one can't really say 'this is how one does cloth'. The nature of the fabric is as revealing about character as the face or hands. What's it made of. How old is it. Is it ever taken off. Is it a cold climate. Are there embellishments like flourishy embroidery or color. How does one fit it. What kind of body is under it and how does it hang over those body parts. What caste are they from. . . etc. . .

Think if you were doing a face, if you had a chiseled face like a rugged outdoorsman, you could tell their story based on how you use the brush and the color, and the lighting, and so forth.

Anyway, may want to think of it like learning licks on a guitar. There's tons of lessons out there, and most of them work. But you have to select what grabs you.

Anyway, happy hunting. I've no doubt you can pull it off. This looks pretty good already. But you're right, it could be more convincing with those considerations I've mentioned. Fool us into utterly into believing your story here.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

THank you D akey and pat.. next im going to probably do it try to get a refferance of a clouth and just paint that.. but next time i should some how keep my concentration

I think it is really good. I think the cloth is fine and the background gives it atmosphere, you have really got the highlight right over the head and back but what I will say, is that the figure seems to be hovering in thin air. It needs to be grounded with some shadows under the knee or leg or something, I'm not quite sure, maybe some more of the atmospheric painterly mix of greys from the background worked in on the foreground at a 65 degree angle to indicate a flat floor, but on my computer screen he looks as though he is levitating a bit. I think once this is addressed the fabric will look just fine and you should be very pleased with it. Good luck.
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

I am not very good at painting folds in clothing either...go to google and search: how to paint or draw folds
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Which dark lord do You mean, Voldemort, Loki or Darth Fener? LOL
    Just kidding. This is an excellent painting.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

i will pick loki

I think its a great painting, just needs something to anchor it to the floor. Well done on a very moody painting
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Nicely done.