ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help !!!!

Help !!!!

HELP !!!!!!! I'm ready to cry, I'm so frustrated.

Tonight I painted a beautiful sky. Then I saved the painting and closed it. Then I opened it ... and I got something very weird. Weird stuff should not be happening. Perhaps my ArtRage is possessed?

My painting was there, but instead of occupying the entire canvas as it did initially, it only occupied about 1/3 of it. Not only that, but the start of the painting was there, in the upper left corner, and it shouldn't be.

When I cleared layer, the painting disappeared, but the start up above remained.

I have no idea how any of this happened, as I describe it, or what actually happened.

I am using ArtRage 3.5.4 for a Mac

And ever since I've been painting on the Mac... weird unacceptable things have been happening. First the canvas that suddenly ups and shifts. Now a painting that I open and it's much smaller with different things added.

Oh yeah and the little square thing in the bottom right corner, suddenly there is nothing I can do to get rid of that.

Is there something wrong with the Mac version? HELP !!!!

This cannot continue to go on HELP!!!!!!

If the painting was occupying a smaller section of the screen before it sounds likely that you have zoomed the canvas. The canvas is the surface on which you are painting, the window in which it appears is just a surface on which it is placed. If you zoom in to the canvas it appears to get bigger, if you zoom out it appears to get smaller. When you open the painting, check the zoom level indicator on the menu bar at the top of the window. If it doesn't say '100%' then you have zoomed. Zooming doesn't damage your image at all, it just magnifies or shrinks it temporarily while you work.

In both cases (this and the canvas 'upping and shifting') it's just you moving the canvas or the app making sure the zoom level is set when you open the painting. Check the manual section on the canvas, that explains how it works.

I'm not sure you mean by the 'little square thing' in the bottom right? Did you close the colour picker, collapsing it in to its pod (a square control with the current colour on it)? If so, just click it to open the picker again. The getting started section of the manual will help you understand what's happening.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks.

Apparently my painting looks full size like I painted it at 200%, but I never adjusted any zoom stuff when I started. I just opened the program and painted.

Why the beginning strokes of my painting show when it's at 100%, I have no idea. In the real world I turned those into sky.

I don't mind the zoom changing, if I changed it, but I did nothing to bring this stuff on.

I can see the little square thing in the bottom right corner of this typing box, except on my painting I can't get rid of it. It is not the color picker collapsed.

ArtRage use to work fine when I was a on my old PC. I had no such weird experiences then.

This is all making me very hesitant to paint at all.

I cannot have a program that seems to change it's own settings without telling me.

Are there some settings I'm supposed to watch when I first open the program, cause this weird, unexpected stuff cannot continue to happen with each painting.
    Last edited by AmbraArtist; 05-28-2012 at 03:54 PM.

There aren't any settings you need to watch when opening up the app and painting. When you start the app a canvas is created at the same size as the window it sits in - If you started painting in that then changed the window size before opening the painting the next time the application would scale the canvas to fit, this is to ensure that every time you open the painting you can see the whole thing, and it might explain why the zoom level was different when you opened it again.

Regarding the square box, I don't really know what you mean. Could you send a copy of the painting (archive it by right clicking and choosing the archive option in the finder, then send the archive) and we can take a look. Send to support@artrage.com.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I just opened the program fresh now, and it says the "new" painting is at 100%

I haven't changed the window size, I don't really even know what you mean.

What is the window size?

Thanks

When you open an application, all the controls appear in a 'window'. Every time you open the application with a blank canvas, that new blank canvas is set to the size of the window hence the zoom level is 100%. This is the same as in the Windows version.

If you send your painting through we can take a look and see what the box is.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks about the box. It's more important for me to understand the secrets of this program first.

Playing with a new painting, my guess is, that if you adjust the size of the window... then the canvas changes in size in proportion to the size of your window.

Correct?

P.S. On my new iMac, the monitor is 21.5" I think. On my old PC it was 17", so I never saw the far edges of ArtRage on the old monitor, hence I did not know it was adjustable on the PC.

One of the problems I keep having with ArtRage on iMac is that I can easily re-size the window accidentally, cause my cursor keeps catching the side of the window and re-sizing it for me. I don't know how to stop that from happening. And until now, I didn't realize it could do any damage.

This never happened on the old PC because I never saw/found the edges of the ArtRage window.

I never read anything about the size of the window and how that relates to the size of the canvas in the Manual. And I just recently read all the Canvas stuff in the Manual.

I cannot anticipate things I do not know about, if there is nothing to tell me how ArtRage is set up in it's "window" and how that relates to the default canvas in the Manual.

At this point, I am thinking I should make the "window" the same size as my monitor, in the hopes that I stop catching the sides of the window and accidentally re-sizing it. What do you think? Good idea?

And then I should set the size of my canvas in this full-screen window to suit my needs? Good idea?

Thanks
    Last edited by AmbraArtist; 05-28-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Changing the size of the window does not change the size of the canvas. The size of the blank canvas you see when you open the window is set to the size of the window at the time of opening but if you change the window size after that, the canvas remains the same size. The size of the canvas can only be changed using the resize options in the Edit menu. Zooming in to or out of the canvas does not change its size, it just changes how magnified it is on the screen at the time.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Well I just tried what I suggested. And did a quick test painting. That seems to have solved the problem.

Again, I had no idea that the default canvas related in size to the size of the window. It would have been good to have that info in the Canvas section of the Manual.

Thanks for all the help.

Just to add a little to what Matt has already said.... you can right click and hold anywhere on your canvas and move the canvas around the pasteboard to see the actual size of canvas you have.

This can also be done with the canvas positioner. It allows you to move the canvas around with the move feature and also to zoom in and out with the magnifying glass that is on the canvas positioner. ( it works like the plus and minus zooming only with more ease I think)
    you can also rotate the canvas with the canvas positioner. the rotation changes are only temporary though not permanent. it will save at the correct default canvas rotation and open that way too. the canvas positioner is really an underused but wonderful tool.

I have also made the canvas larger than the window before and then took off painting and realized later I had empty canvas area left to fill that lay beyond the window frame. it became visible when I zoomed out.
    It can also happen in full screen mode if the canvas is really large. Even in full screen mode you can do the right click and drag trick to see where the boundaries of your canvas actually are. and as mentioned you can also use the canvas positioner tool to move the canvas around, rotate and zoom in and out.

side note:
    if you close ArtRage in full screen mode the next time you open ArtRage it will be in full screen mode.
    if you close in window view the next time you open it will be window view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CANVAS ZOOM.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	67292  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 05-30-2012 at 06:18 PM.