ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Mountain views 0525

Mountain views 0525

... iPhone basic paper chalk and crayon ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Pete, how big is the picture when you do it? My iphone has a screen of about 2 x 3 more or less. Is that enough for you? I may try it on mine just for fun. I used to paint really small on occasion and they were detailed too, but it's not so easy anymore since I started wearing glasses more regularly. I can certainly see your style being perfect for the small size.

Anyway, I quite like this one as a picture, more than only a concept. I love the colors and the grittiness of the washes. Can see you're still going with the elemental theme, although not sure if that's your main reason for doing this one.

Are you avoiding detail, as with traditional Chinese brush paintings of mountains and so forth? I'm referring to the washy wet into wet counterpointed by bits of intense ink. You going your own way with it and using that as a springboard, or are you going to add the counterpoint element? Just curious.

I mean, the way you do the strokes, you have points where the paint collects in a sort of stopping stab in counterpoint to the sweeping marks. But was wondering about more, if that's of interest to you. I quite like the look of this one and could see with some more mileage you could really get the speeds of the strokes to say it all.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I am not a contortionist

Pete, your work always fascinates me, because it leaves so much to the imagination . I can turn my iPad around to view and see somethining totally unexpected, such as faces, another take on what you intended, etc. I may not get what you are trying to convey. But I always see things. In this one , upside down ,I see a tsunami? I have always enjoyed seeing thing in clouds, trees with sun and shadows ,and your work does the same for me. It gives me pleasure, so job well done!

Hi Shibui, thanks for the kind comments, it may interest you to know that I often flip the iPhone sideways or upside down as I work on composition, so the images are used to being turned all different ways, and I'm happy to know you find them suggestive, what good is an artwork if it doesn't stimulate the viewer's imagination to see things beyond its own image? ...

D Akey, it's now several months since I began to explore the digitial world, and I find that I gravitate mostly to the iPhone for initial ideas, and use the iPad or ArtRage Pro for post-work ... As you probably know from my previous posts, my work is based in the pastel tool, sometimes I integrate watercolor, or ink effects, and lately I've been coming to terms with the crayon tool on the iPhone .... The pastel is placed down and then the crayon is swept across ... Pastel and crayon in my experience are among the least compatible in the AR tool set, so it's a challenge I've set for myself to combine them ...

My acreage is the size of the iPhone window, of course I will zoom in and out as needed -- It's not that I'm a miniaturist, on the contrary, I'm trying to create a sense of the monumental out of the very small, and the iPhone works well for that ...

About avoiding details: I start with extreme detail and work backwards from there ... I overdraw, and then I try to eliminate line, or harsh outline, except where it's visually exciting, because I want to emphasize edges, not lines .... For this, my poor vision finally has become an asset! :-)

I have to say that I wish the iPhone could have the full complement of painting tools available on the iPad or the desktop, but I'm sure I'm in a minority of AR users who want to see the iPhone platform developed further ... But if a future iteration of the iPhone has a larger screen, I would expect AR to adjust to that, and I will buy a larger screen iPhone in the hope of increasing creativity and reducing eye-strain :-)
    Artrage Gallery

I really like this one as has been before it leaves so much to the imagination yet tells its own story
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Chinapete, I think this is so nice to look at, very interesting and love the texture and colors of this painting

... thank you pat and coops ...
    Artrage Gallery