ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Dragon

Dragon

Ok, haven't painted a dragon in years. My son asked for one. I think it's almost there, but needs something. Any thoughts on what's working, what's not, and what could be added/taken away to finish it out?

A lone dragon just after torching or about to torch. Not sure which. :)

Great work!!

Though I am not familiar with western dragons, I will be really satisfied if I were your son.

My only issue with this is lighting. In the background, it is very clear where the light is coming from. On the Dragon, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Docsmith626 View Post
    My only issue with this is lighting. In the background, it is very clear where the light is coming from. On the Dragon, not so much.
    Yeah, maybe that's what's bothering me too. I was going for a light from below (maybe a fire he started) and a secondary light from above (a cool light, maybe a moon?). But I don't think I've punched it up enough. Thanks for the feedback Doc!

Curious Jane: Thanks!

Talking hmmm.

I was thinking that maybe you could use a little Gaussian blur on the back ground.

So much work must have gone into this painting and it turned out great
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

WoWA Superb Dragon!!
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

8. What you can do is to 'push' the background back and create some distance between the foreground and background. To do this, you need to adjust the values of the background and make them less intense. Because the background is further away, the shadowed areas would be lighter and greyer and the highlights, would be duller.

One way to do this is add some atmospheric mist between the dragon and background. If you've done you image on sperate layers, this will be easy todo. You could use the airbrush to do this but I would prefer to use the ink brush on a low opacity with a greyish colour.