ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of missing keyboard shortcuts

A couple of missing keyboard shortcuts

I was very surprised to find that I couldn't delete a layer by hitting "Del" when the layer was selected. I checked through the shortcuts listed in the manual and found that pretty much everything is covered but, for me, there should be an option to delete and also to select multiple layers without having to open up the built-in layer menu. I apologise in advance if I've missed the means to accomplish these tasks via shortcuts!

You can set a keyboard shortcut to deleting layers via Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Layers. Add any key you like to 'delete layer' and this will delete the current layer. Selection of multiple layers isn't supported at the moment, but you can use layer groups to perform operations on multiple layers.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks, Dave. I didn't realise that.

I was aware of layer grouping which certainly has its uses. It would be good to have multiple layers selected by means of shift-clicking though so you could, for example, delete a lot of stuff in one go.

Something else that would be great would be the ability to cycle through the various layer blending modes by use of the up and down arrow keys. Would that be possible? I can do it in Photoshop by making sure the blend mode is highlighted and then using the arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryExo View Post
    Something else that would be great would be the ability to cycle through the various layer blending modes by use of the up and down arrow keys. Would that be possible? I can do it in Photoshop by making sure the blend mode is highlighted and then using the arrows.
    But you can already and even by first letter it will cycle through every modename starting with the letter,press enter if chosen

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    But you can already and even by first letter it will cycle through every modename starting with the letter,press enter if chosen

Hans
    No, I don't mean just running through the drop-down menu items. I mean each option being applied to the picture with every selection via arrow keys. It makes it very convenient to test out ideas without having to constantly go in and out of a menu. It saves a lot of time.

I really do find it very annoying that I cannot apply layer blending in the way I described above. I do this in PS all the time. Can this be implemented in AR?

Me too, Gary. I was doing this yesterday, and having to go to Blend Mode every time to try out a new one was a pain in the proverbials

Even PhotoImpact, which I've used for nearly 15 years, allows me to open Merge Mode as it's called and cycle through with the down/up arrows showing the results, as does Photoshop as you say. For sure you can go up and down the list with the arrow keys in ArtRage but no preview on the layer.

You mightn't be able to scroll thru the blend modes to see the various effects but there is an easier way than going backward forward to the menu selecting various modes. Once you have selected the first mode, this little square will show - if you click on it, the list of modes will open and you can select which ever one you choose.

@ hildee I thought I wouldn't be the only one!

@ Enug Thanks. Yes, that's how I use it in AR but it's only marginally better than the longer method. You still have to return to your layers, hit the little square, scroll to a preset and click it before you get to see the effect on your layers. Irritating and a waste of time.

I'm a bit disappointed to have had no further comment from Rage HQ considering I raised this issue back in 2012!