Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBEAU_portrait_purple

Just read this. Might help me keep the color true during the blending process. Thanks a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeau View Post
    Thanks Caesar and Shadowslake!

@ ShadowsLake
    I use a similar method.
    I create a new layer and fill it with a midtone value, the base color you mentioned. There was a bunch of pink in this image so I filled it with that color. Then I make a new layer and start to apply colors from my palette. My color application method is using a mix of oils and flat pallete knife. The oils brush is set to thin and dry with default settings. Palette knife is set to flat with 50% pressure, 65% load. Sometimes I end up merging the base layer, pink in this case, with the layer above with all my colors. In this case, I didn't do that... I ended up deleting the base layer and kept the colors that you see in the first image.

My blend application method is with the flat pallete knife.
    Load is set to 0, start with low pressure and increase the pressure until the paint moves and starts to blend. There is usually a gap between colors and finding the proper pressure to fill that gap depends. I usually start with 4-6% then work my way up to 55%. The blending is also dependent on how much pressure you apply with your wacom. I typically have a light hand, but thats my traditional drawing style. Light first and heavier after...

I also found that if you want highlights or adding colors that you missed with the initial color application, its better to create a new layer, apply your new colors and then merge down. Then blend accordingly, I find it blends much cleaner. If your colors start to muddy then undo and try this immediately as you add new colors over existing ones.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by screenpainter View Post
    I think you will find this airbrush preset called a soft shader...very useful indeed for portraits. I am not sure if it comes with artrage or it is one I dialed up, (a mind as sharp as jelly) but I think you will find it invaluable for blending in portraits. I hope you enjoy.
    I also added a fairly generic wet palette knife called a portrait blender, but it works really well for blending portraits as well. enjoy.
    Thank you for sharing! I'll give these a try as well. I do some airbrush with these but not to blend. Only to introduce tonal value changes. I like using the overlay blendmode when using this method, as it applies color without destroying the brush work I have used a round airbrush with 20-30% opacity. I've also noticed that the stoke you apply to color and blends works better with a circular pattern vs a straight line.

I'm also experimenting with this brush pack to blend:
    http://photoshop.digitalmedianet.com...fterinter=true
    Last edited by jbeau; 06-01-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowslake View Post
    I used your general tecknique and experamented. This is nowhere the quality or close to a finished product but here is my attempt. Hope you dont mind me posting the results. If you desire I will post the face as I progress?

Attachment 67374
    I don't mind at all. We are all learning and experimenting maybe I can send you my artrage file with the colors applied in the first image. From there, you can try and blend it. Just post your email if you want to give it a try.

I'm sure looking at my work, one may think I trace. I'm thinking of doing a quick video to show my pencil work. The setup is simple. I recommend lots of reference. My screen is filled with all kinds of stuff. Anyways back to the pencil topic. I take my reference and create a grid. Lets say my image is 1000x1000 pixels. For every 200 pixels I create a straight line vertically and horizontally. Then I create my AR version @ 4000x4000 pixels. Then in AR, I add my reference image, the 1k version in this example. I import my grid only, as a layer and set that layers blend mode to multiply. Then I create my sketch layer and place it under my grid layer. I have dual monitors, I place my reference image on my left monitor, on my right monitor I have my AR grid ready to sketch. I recommend that your ref image and your AR canvas be the same size when you start. From there it's just a matter of training your eye to draw each smaller section in proportion. The more smaller sections you create the easier it is, as long as you don't have too many lines blocking your view. I've use this technique for over 20 years, and now I can do it without the use of the grid with a high level of accuracy. It's really about training your eye to find common points of measurement.
    Last edited by jbeau; 06-01-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by limey-g View Post
    An amazing portrait, you are so talented, I can only dream.
    Geoff
    Thanks for the compliment we all have to start somewhere and someday you'll be where you want with your art. There is no secret to getting decent at a technique. Practice, practice, and experiment. Try to make every image better then the last. Ask yourself, would this look better if... And lastly, don't give up!

My email. [email protected] I am also interested in your refrences that help you form the face. I am struggleing and growing trying to find what works best. For so long I have said "I am not good enough to do faces." Thanks to everone here I have improved so much. Thank you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeau View Post
    I don't mind at all. We are all learning and experimenting maybe I can send you my artrage file with the colors applied in the first image. From there, you can try and blend it. Just post your email if you want to give it a try.

I'm sure looking at my work, one may think I trace. I'm thinking of doing a quick video to show my pencil work. The setup is simple. I recommend lots of reference. My screen is filled with all kinds of stuff. Anyways back to the pencil topic. I take my reference and create a grid. Lets say my image is 1000x1000 pixels. For every 200 pixels I create a straight line vertically and horizontally. Then I create my AR version @ 4000x4000 pixels. Then in AR, I add my reference image, the 1k version in this example. I import my grid only, as a layer and set that layers blend mode to multiply. Then I create my sketch layer and place it under my grid layer. I have dual monitors, I place my reference image on my left monitor, on my right monitor I have my AR grid ready to sketch. I recommend that your ref image and your AR canvas be the same size when you start. From there it's just a matter of training your eye to draw each smaller section in proportion. The more smaller sections you create the easier it is, as long as you don't have too many lines blocking your view. I've use this technique for over 20 years, and now I can do it without the use of the grid with a high level of accuracy. It's really about training your eye to find common points of measurement.
    Last edited by shadowslake; 06-01-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Jbeau,
    this is very good, as usual-- I'll be interested to see how you handle the texture of the brush strokes as you near the end. Right now, you're clearly focusing on building value and form. I like the pink-purple you've got going in the shadowy area behind the flower-- this is a nice touch--, though I find the line between the lips too aggressive currently. I wonder if that'll improve as you push the shadows more in other areas and create a greater sense of balance.....? Also, I think the hand is much better in this one. Your pieces clearly show the mark of a person who has a very good sense of what they're really doing, still (not to sound like an *sshole, but rather a helpful critic).... I felt like the hand in the last painting was way too large compared to her head. No one brought it up, which I found odd, because it seemed a relatively glaring anatomical choice in an otherwise awesome painting. I thought I'd point out the development I see here compared to that one on that point. I can't tell, is that coming off as a back-handed compliment??? LOL.

Thanks for sharing! I hope my comments come across as useful-- I only comment because I like the piece. I'm definitely waiting for the "finished" piece...
    Last edited by Steve B; 06-02-2012 at 03:38 AM.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Hi Steve,
    Thank you for the thoughtful Critique! I agree with all your comments and there are a couple of additional areas that need to be addressed. The background could use some work, as the grain of of the 'brush' strokes seem to disrupt the visual flow and distract from the main figure. I like the hues, but will probably tone the stroke down, maybe introduce more gradation? The darkness in the shadowed lips can be addressed two ways. One with introducing more shadow and contrast with darker hues in the overall image, which will balance out the luminance, as you say. Two, I may change the black value to purple and be done with it. The way the hair flows isn't natural, but I'm not sure whether to make it wrap around or keep it the way it is. What do you think? I really had no intentions of continuing on this one. I like to leave room for improvement from piece to piece, or maybe I'm just lazy. But your comments make me want to reconsider.

Regarding my last piece, my wife kept telling me that the hand was too large, but I was too stubborn to listen. After showing that portrait to other friends and family they all said the same thing. I hate when she's right, but I'm not going to fix it. Its so weird, I take criticism all day from AD's and others, but when she comments I generally brush her off. I'm going to use this piece as a reminder to be open to her views. She hates both of these portraits BTW! I need to create one of her, but that is another conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by shadowslake View Post
    Email Sent.

edited the lips. killed the harsh black line and added a little more shape in that area... Started playing with the background and but nothing I made looked good I've made a rough paint of the hair wrapping around, need to add detail. I think I've merged down a few too many times. What do you think, leave the hair or try this new version?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	female_purple_12.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	304.9 KB 
ID:	67398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	female_purple_13.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	67399  
    Last edited by jbeau; 06-02-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Absolutely "W*O*W!"

I am awestruck! This can be done in Art Rage!?!
    What a fantastic painting! This is an amazing work that you are doing!
    I just got this program and I'm trying to wrap my mind around all the possibilities that are available with it.
    I'm still learning the various setting controls to achieve the effects I want to get from the various tools, so I have quite a ways to go.
    To see how other artists are able to accomplish such stunning works with this program gives me loads of encouragement.
    You make me glad I have eyes! Thank you!