Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBEAU_portrait_purple

Thanks Screenpainter! I'm softening up the hands, adding more yellow tones to everything below the neckline. Still working on the hair.

Speaking of hair, and blendmodes:
    I want to share how I setup the hair to blend with any background.
    I painted the hair on a white background. I duplicated the hair layer and set the lower layer to multiply. Then the upper layer, I soft erased out the hair tips. This made the tips multiply with any layer underneath. It's not 100% clean at the moment, but it's working. Next, I will merge the background and both hair layers. From there, I can use the flat knife and make the transitions of color smoother between hair and background. I'm also going to try a couple of other setups. Maybe there a better way?

The direction technique:
    I basically ended up painting her twice. Once smooth with color blends, then again to put in the brush work... There is probably a simpler way, but I needed the practice
    Last edited by jbeau; 05-31-2012 at 06:01 PM.

The last one is practically finished. A really masterfully executed portrait.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Nice work. Amaizing really.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeau View Post
    Here is the beginning color laydown before I start blending.

The third Image is a couple of hours messing around. I'm still working in lots of details...

What method did you use to blend with?

I am concidering trying this method tonight. I have struggled with faces a bit and have use the method of filling in with a base color and adding colors to produce the shading effects seccondary. I like the method you used here beter. I think it produces beter results. What was your blending tool and settings so I can try this myself?

Thanks Caesar and Shadowslake!

@ ShadowsLake
    I use a similar method.
    I create a new layer and fill it with a midtone value, the base color you mentioned. There was a bunch of pink in this image so I filled it with that color. Then I make a new layer and start to apply colors from my palette. My color application method is using a mix of oils and flat pallete knife. The oils brush is set to thin and dry with default settings. Palette knife is set to flat with 50% pressure, 65% load. Sometimes I end up merging the base layer, pink in this case, with the layer above with all my colors. In this case, I didn't do that... I ended up deleting the base layer and kept the colors that you see in the first image.

My blend application method is with the flat pallete knife.
    Load is set to 0, start with low pressure and increase the pressure until the paint moves and starts to blend. There is usually a gap between colors and finding the proper pressure to fill that gap depends. I usually start with 4-6% then work my way up to 55%. The blending is also dependent on how much pressure you apply with your wacom. I typically have a light hand, but thats my traditional drawing style. Light first and heavier after...

I also found that if you want highlights or adding colors that you missed with the initial color application, its better to create a new layer, apply your new colors and then merge down. Then blend accordingly, I find it blends much cleaner. If your colors start to muddy then undo and try this immediately as you add new colors over existing ones.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by jbeau; 06-01-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Softened the hard brush work of the hands(used wet palette knife), played with the clothing, added yellow undertones with an overlay layer using an airbrush, reworked the hair tips and blending(still not happy with them, may need to redo the full left side to make the hair wrap around).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	female_purple_11.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	358.8 KB 
ID:	67368  
    Last edited by jbeau; 06-01-2012 at 04:32 PM.

An amazing portrait, you are so talented, I can only dream.
    Geoff

I think you will find this airbrush preset called a soft shader...very useful indeed for portraits. I am not sure if it comes with artrage or it is one I dialed up, (a mind as sharp as jelly) but I think you will find it invaluable for blending in portraits. I hope you enjoy.
    I also added a fairly generic wet palette knife called a portrait blender, but it works really well for blending portraits as well. enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by screenpainter; 06-01-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by screenpainter View Post
    I think you will find this airbrush preset very useful indeed for portraits. I am not sure if it comes with artrage or it is one I dialed up, (a mind as sharp as jelly) but I think you will find it invaluable for blending in portraits. I hope you enjoy.
    I also added a fairly generic wet palette knife, but it works really well for blending portraits as well. enjoy.
    Well I will certainly have a look tomorrow when I get on the desktop, much appreciated.
    Geoff

I used your general tecknique and experamented. This is nowhere the quality or close to a finished product but here is my attempt. Hope you dont mind me posting the results. If you desire I will post the face as I progress?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face experament stage 2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	67374
    Last edited by shadowslake; 06-01-2012 at 11:45 AM.