Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JBEAU_portrait_purple

I think the bottom image is better, definitely. When thinking of hair, I tend to think of it as a single mass first, with weight and movement as a single unit. By removing the stray strands of hair on the left, it allows the mind to pull the weight of the hair back and around to the right shoulder. IMO, some little bit of highlight on the far left, strands for instance, would be also very useful in giving the hair a sense of weight and shifting gravity around to the right side, going behind her head. It'll make it feel less like a helmet. The top image doesn't feel like a helmet at all, but the hair on the left side didn't communicate to the right as well I think it should have. In the bottom version, the two sides work as a single unit better, but its now missing that sense of movement I think some highlights in the hair as it approaches the edge of her head will provide.

Backgrounds, btw, I find very difficult, because I think they should communicate something in terms of mood or motion, but I don't always have something representational to put there. Doing a background well is a little art in and of itself.

Re: wives-- they can be very brave and truthful. Thank goodness! It took me a long time to realize my wife's critiques of my poetry are often right on the money, even though she, herself, doesn't write. She doesn't give much technical feedback per se, but she understands me well enough to be a mirror to me emotionally, if that makes any sense. I often think she knows where my writing is going, or should be going, before I do.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rtzenx View Post
    I am awestruck! This can be done in Art Rage!?!
    What a fantastic painting! This is an amazing work that you are doing!
    I just got this program and I'm trying to wrap my mind around all the possibilities that are available with it.
    I'm still learning the various setting controls to achieve the effects I want to get from the various tools, so I have quite a ways to go.
    To see how other artists are able to accomplish such stunning works with this program gives me loads of encouragement.
    You make me glad I have eyes! Thank you!
    Thank you for your kind words Rtzenx! Artrage is a fascinating application! I've been hooked from the first time I tried it! I've been able to create prints on watercolor paper and stretched canvas. With a little embellishing on these papers with additional watercolor techniques or on canvas with clear acrylics, I've had people tell me they can't tell the difference from the traditional medium counterpart.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I think the bottom image is better, definitely. When thinking of hair, I tend to think of it as a single mass first, with weight and movement as a single unit. By removing the stray strands of hair on the left, it allows the mind to pull the weight of the hair back and around to the right shoulder. IMO, some little bit of highlight on the far left, strands for instance, would be also very useful in giving the hair a sense of weight and shifting gravity around to the right side, going behind her head. It'll make it feel less like a helmet. The top image doesn't feel like a helmet at all, but the hair on the left side didn't communicate to the right as well I think it should have. In the bottom version, the two sides work as a single unit better, but its now missing that sense of movement I think some highlights in the hair as it approaches the edge of her head will provide.

Backgrounds, btw, I find very difficult, because I think they should communicate something in terms of mood or motion, but I don't always have something representational to put there. Doing a background well is a little art in and of itself.

Re: wives-- they can be very brave and truthful. Thank goodness! It took me a long time to realize my wife's critiques of my poetry are often right on the money, even though she, herself, doesn't write. She doesn't give much technical feedback per se, but she understands me well enough to be a mirror to me emotionally, if that makes any sense. I often think she knows where my writing is going, or should be going, before I do.
    Thank you SteveB! I appreciate your input and honesty as well. I'm going to rework the second piece and start adding details on the hair with highlights and midtones. The second piece above was just proof of concept to translate my idea about the hair wrap around. Now its time to put in some detail!

I need to keep experimenting with the background. Its really bugging me!

Re: wives -- Its nice to hear that i"m not the only one in this situation. My wife doesn't paint, but she has a decent eye. It sounds like you have a keeper over there! Your watercolors are coming along nicely BTW! Looks like you'll be published in no time, keep it up
    Best Regards,
    Jeremy

Fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by jbeau View Post
    another_update...Still working on details...
    I love this it is a really stunning picture

Thanks Kris!
    Now if only I could find the time to wrap it up