ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Study on Light

Study on Light

This is done in wc, many layers, my main concern in this is light, I wanted to be able to create a lot of light in the painting without making it faded out, any comments are really appreciated and advice of course, waiting for you Mr DAkey lol

Hi Pat I don't see any image, did you forget to post it ?
    Geoff

This is so funny Geoff, yes I did thanks lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Study of Light.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	276.2 KB 
ID:	67109  

Being as you and I are the same age, I can understand. Lol
    The painting is so lovely and well worth waiting for.
    Well done.
    Geoff

Limey-g beat me to it, hahaha. That would have been my first bit of advice, to post it. We all do such things. . .

Now I have to go back and look more carefully. Thanks for the invite. . .

Yeah, I have a comment on how one gives the impression of light -- believe it or not, it's painting darks. It's the contrast that sets up the feeling of intensity. Think of the things you see on a bright day -- saturated colors is one. Dull days tend to go dull everywhere, though not entirely. But it's duller and for an artist it's a device.

But the real trick is to make your shadows heavy-ish somewhere, especially in the foreground of the painting. This is because darks in landscapes come forward. So if you establish your darks close up, you have the full value range to work with, and you can then lighten a whole lot the rest of the area giving the impression of brightness.

There are a lot of tricks landscape painters use compositionally like putting a thick wall of trees in the foreground to the right side and maybe even some to the left, leaving a sort of tunneling into the picture with the light in the middle. It's similar to lighting a stage play -- a spotlight of sorts, only it can be way more subtle.

And conversely, if you want a feeling like Impressionism, you can keep away from the dark darks and play with the high key warms like yellows etc (lit areas) against cools like blues and purples etc (shadows). It's all very saturated in a pastel way. That also gives the impression of overall bright light -- someone like Cassatt did that as an example.

Right now, your painting is lukewarm, probably because you are tentative about getting the effects for the first time. That's fine. Good job that. Now you have formulated questions and can begin looking at how other artists have approached it.

Go PAT!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thankyou Geoff, always appreciate your comments
    DAkey, I have printed up all the info you have taken the time to write and I really appreciate it, will be taking all this great advice and putting it at my side as I paint the next one, thankyou so much

That lovely Pat, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Very nice painting Pat
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

Thankyou dear Katie and Silvy, always appreciate your comments