ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Studio Pro or Studio??

Studio Pro or Studio??

I currently own Artrage for Ipad and plan to purchase Studio Pro or Studio in the next few days. I have read the chart showing features of each. I would appreciate some info and a recommendation from the old hands as to which one I should buy. The chart is very informative but it lists things I know absolutely nothing about. I am a novice, far from being a pro, however, I don't want to get something that I will grow out of in a few months. Will Studio meet my needs for the next 12 to 18 months or should I bite the bullet and get Pro on my initial purchase? Any recommendations, suggestions, or info I receive will be greatly appreciated. I know this is a loaded question and the answer is totally subjective, but any input will be 100% greater than I have right now. Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Phestus

I tell everyone to just go for the Pro version. Sure it costs more, but you'd missing out on a lot of great features. Just being able to create your own stickers/spray presets is worth the extra price, from my perspective, but there's also the layer Blur and Color adjustment features, Real color blending, Text tool, Fill tool, the Polygon and Freehand selection types, layer transparency lock, and Script recording features (which I think might be needed for certain scripts from the ipad recordings, but I may be wrong on that). That's a lot stuff I'd miss having...

Then again, it's difficult to miss it, if you've never used it to begin with. Have you tried out the demo for ArtRage Studio Pro yet?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Studio Pro is worth the money. As you use the program you will discover so many things you can do with it. I am not exactly a mental wizard at using any program, but I am continually finding things about using Art Rage that amaze me. Experimenting is very pleasing to me. Art Rage seems to be one of those programs that goes on and on and on in terms of things to discover and learn. For the price, I personally feel that Art Rage is one of the best software bargains going for creativity.

My Thanks

Hello Someonesane and Bobbie,

Thanks to both of you for your replies and the good info you provided. I now own Studio Pro and am beginning to get my feet wet trying to figure out how to use it. I am a total novice at this stuff but I hope that one of these days I'll be able to make something that resembles a painting. Now, all I need is to get my head into the manual and start working with it. Looks like a great program and well worth the money. Quick question. How do you blend paints? I am starting with a lighthouse, which is white, and I want to put a shadow in that fades from white to grey to black. I tried the pallet knife but it put lumps into the paint. Hope this isn't a dumb question or that the answer is right in front of me. Thanks again for your suggestion on Studio Pro.

Cheers,

Phestus

That's a question with a lot of answers, and many of them will depend on the type of style you're looking to attain. Personally, I'm a big fan of using the Crayon tool (with it's softness set to 100%) to smear the Oil paint. I also like switching on the Oil paints Insta-dry setting, and using a thinned paint (about 90% thinner setting) to layer the colors, until they blend out. I explain more about this here: Link.

If you're looking for a purely flat image, you might want to turn off the light rendering, on the Canvas Panel (View > Canvas Settings, and then click on the Light bulb icon).

(Edit) - One more Link
    Last edited by Someonesane; 05-25-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Phestus, checkout the presets for the palette knife. There are options for blending that you may not have seen yet. There is a blur option that can be helpful for blending. Check out each tool for all the possibilities available. Experimenting with each tool will help you find those which will help you achieve what you want. Experimenting also will cause you to find possibilities you did not expect. That is part of the fun with Art Rage, finding the possibilites.

Again, My Thanks

Hello Again, Someonesane and Bobbi,

I really appreciate the help I have received from you two. Nice to know that someone who has been there is willing to share their knowledge with a noobie.

Cheers,

Phestus