ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii Revised

Hawaii Revised

I am going to do a stamp for every state of the US. I have a Georgia stamp, and this will be my second stamp designed on Zazzle.
    A few tweaks here and there and I will call it finished. I hope you like it.

I worked on her a bit more. Thanks D Akey for your CC.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Alexandra; 05-19-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Very nice style, Alexandra! I really like it. Still need a little more mileage with designing text into an image, but it's coming better and better all the time.

I especially love the tattoo in the face. Very subtle but that it's there gives it some depth of experience. Also the volcano. Cool. The overall has a terrific graphic impact. Has a certain era National Geographic advert page look influence.

Well done!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

A stamp for every state! What fun! well your off to a good start Sandy. Great styling in this design.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Hi D Akey, Thank you! Now....please define mileage in text...as I would sincerely appreciate it before I publish to my zazzle store.
    What would you suggest? I thought about making my own fonts-checking out fonts that are used maybe in retro films of movies and such, or just free winging it and creating something new all together.
    I look forward to your input and thanks!

Hi Neal, thanks so much! I am so thrilled as I have sold a peach stamp, a t-shirt with this design as well with Georgia Peach on it. (Also a few posters, mousepads, and cards) I am so thankful to the customer, ArtRage, and Zazzle. This has encouraged me to keep practicing and designing more of a marketable product. I know there are a lot of stamp enthusiasts out there so maybe there will be a market for artists in this area.

Makes me feel warm and sunny and wanting to visit, lovely painting Sandy
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

WOW this is so cool Sandy, really like it a lot

Really nice Alexandra , quite a challenge doing one for every state, it will keep you busy for quite some time and I certainly look forward to seeing them.
    Geoff

You developed your quite unique stale Sandy. It's very well thought undertaking as well. I thing this stamp series need some sort of continuity and the text design seems to be best to remain constant through the whole amount of pieces. It's common in series of cards, stamps etc. So it would become really important, if you decide to use such concept. I would preserve the unique design and even style of each stamp. As there are no entirely the same two states in the US, however united through the written word.

Splendid idea Sandy, and very well done.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Mileage = time spent designing. By the time you reach Oklahoma you'll be designin'. . . differently. Sorry, had a Glenn Campbell moment there. . .

What would I suggest? If you're wanting to go pro, I won't mince words. I suppose what I would suggest is two things, when you need to deliver professional level work right off the bat:

1) Look at what the professionals have done, pick the one that seems best to your eye, and use their basic design with your stuff in it instead. No shame in that. Pros do it all the time because it opens their minds especially when they've exhausted their bag of tricks. Plus, copying a design will be as if you have the artist sitting there discussing it with you. Do your idea, just use a resolved template until you get your typographic and design chops down with a wide range of possibilities.

2) Plan your work, and include how the type is going to work into the overall design. I'm sorry but I kind of get that your use of type appears to be an afterthought. And there was just a little space left over to try and fit it in. There's a different consciousness between designers and illustrators. If you think like both when you're using chops from both domains on this series, you're in business.

3) This is a side comment: If you want it to be a stamp, present it like a stamp looks when people buy them. Have a perforated border, show it in a block of four with all the trim stuff. Go to the post office and buy some stamps and scan it in to get the overall appearance, get rid of their info and place yours in as in a picture frame. That is if you are wanting it to look like a postage stamp. If you want it to be like a travel sticker, then place it into an environment where people could see how it's used. On the back of a camper, or luggage or whatever.

Hope this helps. But I would bet that only the most seasoned artists would be able to do a 50 piece series and not have noticeable evolutionary shifts in their work. The only thing that would keep that from showing is that the art director would insist on consistency because that's their area of concern. But the artist would grow and learn tons along the way.

I am very enthusiastic about your choosing to do something like this. Planning, doing thumbnails and sketches with everything to size, including type, is very sensible. You can work a lot out that way to develop a consistent vision.

Merely suggestions. Worth every penny you're paying for this advice.

GO ALEXANDRA GO!!!!!!!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream