ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: water anyone?

water anyone?

could one of you Artrage masters do a tutorial on how to paint a body of water? Sweedy's tutorial on clouds was great, i learned a lot from that and hope to post a painting i did using his techinique soon as i get a chance.

hi fisharms,

have you got some idea on how to paint ?

i've tried to paint some water too last few days. did not get it right. still looking others' painting to find out how to do that. :roll:
    try to paint a reflection on water but doesn't look like.

Hi Fisharms and Pai. I can give you a couple of tips that I have tried and they work even though I am definitely not a master. I tried the Bob Ross method and it looks pretty good to me.
    Your water should be the reflection of the sky with anything in between also reflected. If your sky is dark at the top and light at the bottom, then your water should be light at the horizon and dark closest to you.(this is for calm water). Reflections of trees and stuff should be a little darker than the actual tree etc. Just scribble some paint in for your reflection and then drag straight down with palette knife using light pressure. If you want a little ripple on the water you wiggle the knife while dragging. after all reflections are in you can add some horizontal thin white lines and go over these lightly in the horizontal direction. Don't overdo!
    Keep horizon and water lines level (horizontal). I will attach a sample here. Good luck - let me know if this works for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Hi jvolkel,

Thanks for your detail explanation. It helps me to understand more on the technique. It's hard to control the knife horizontally with the mouse. I haven't got a good control on the knife yet. It's lucky I don't need to waste a lot of real art paper to practise. Here, you just need to click "new painting" again and keep trying.

cool painting jvolkel !
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

thanks for the tips!

You are all welcome! The mouse can be tricky, but as someone recommended somewhere else in the forums, maybe you can rotate your canvas a little right or left whule drawing and find an angle that will give you a pretty straight line. I even find that I have to do that with the Wacom Tablet - something to do with the natural swing of your arm. A quick stroke looks more natural than a slow jittery one. Good luck.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

I still couldn't do the calm water reflection right but did this wave by looking Peter's wave paintings. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. :roll:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Pai - Great new avatar! You did well with the waves, and only need a little better shading to have them perfect. (In my opinion anyway). Just remember that a wave is a solid shape (like a mountain or a tree, etc.) and has a lighted side and a shadow side. The water is also translucent so if the wave is high, it will be thinner near the top and some light will shine through and show the water color. Usually the water is the same color as what it is reflecting, in this case the sky. Sunlight will make the lit side a little lighter than the sky, and shadow will make it darker. The foam also has a dark and light side and will usually have a dark shadow underneath. You just have to imagine where the light hits in your scene, or look carefully for it in your reference pics.
    Hope that is clear for you.

hi jvolkel,

thanks for looking in. i don't have any reference picture for this painting. i just made it up. :lol: your detail analysis of the wave is really helpful for me. unfortunately, there's no sea to where i live here. i'll have to search for some photo pictures to work on it.

big thanks to you.