ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Resizing the painting

Resizing the painting

If I use [Edit][Resize the painting] it seems as if I can enlarge the painting to whatever size I want and increase the PPI/DPI setting in the same way.

I have tried it and it does seem to work and increase the size if the paining without distortion, which is great but does it have limitations?

For example I have created a painting at 72dpi and I now would like to take it to a commercial printer will increasing the DPI in [Resize the painting] mean it will print that way at a printshop?

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

When you resize a painting to larger size, you will lose some quality. At smaller increases in size this shouldn't tend to be too noticeable, but it will become more pronounced as you start to make more considerable changes in size. The reason for this is that there is a fixed amount of starting data from the original painting size you were working with, and when you resize, this data is having to be effectively 'stretched'.
    When creating paintings for physical printing, I'd recommend starting the painting at the size you wish to work with ( File -> New Painting ) as you can set the physical size and DPI so shouldn't need to resize again later.
    I hope that helps, let me know if you have further questions though!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Yup, that about covers it. Ta!

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========