ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: DPI Query.

DPI Query.

Can someone please tell me the maximum DPI i can set on artrage. It doesn't give any indication or guidance on the subject.

I don't know if there is one. It's likely going to depend on what your computer can handle, rather then a hard limit.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I don't know if there is one. It's likely going to depend on what your computer can handle, rather then a hard limit.
    Yes I think that's right. Although there is usually not much point setting it above 150dpi for home printing IMO. If it's for screen display only then 72dpi (or maybe 96dpi) is the highest that most monitors can display. Again IMO, although most commercial printers will ask you for the highest dpi possible anything above 600dpi doesn't get you much improvement except in special circumstances.

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Thanks for the replies, it's just that I submitted some artwork to a website for prints and I could only get the smallest prints available and that was at 761 DPI. Oh well, back to the drawing board. (Pun intended!)

I'd advise setting your painting up at a specific physical size ( e.g. inches ) and DPI when you start it via File -> New Painting. I'm not sure which version of ArtRage you're using but in the manual for Studio and Studio Pro there's a good section called 'File Size and printing' which is a good place to get started on how to set up your paintings. DPI just specifies how many of the dots you have given the image will be printed per inch ( if your image is 600 pixels wide, 600 dpi will give you a 1 inch wide image ). You also need to consider actual physical size when printing. If you're submitting images to a website you should be able to check the sizes they recommend for various sizes of print.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

DPI means little to nothing for an image output format. Pixel dimensions do (well, and pixel density because a pixel is not a fixed size). DPI is an information field inside the header of the output image format that a receiving application (say a page layout application for an example) uses to help determining the size to place the image. But it is not processed at print time by any output device or application.

For instance, you can create a 2000 x 2000 pixel image at 96 dpi, 150 dpi, 300 dpi, 600 dpi, etc, etc, and as long as that image is placed at 100% of created size (2000px x 2000px) into a receiving application, it will print out to your home ink jet, a color or B/W laser, a high-end digital printer, or to film for offset printing at 150 lpi with the best quality those devices are capable of.

Take care, Mike

DPI is only relevant at print time. When you print, your printer will print out your image at a density indicated by DPI. Before you go to print, DPI is only useful for you to measure how big your image will bge when it is printed.

So, if you want to print at a particular physical size and DPI from ArtRage, make sure to set up your canvas via File -> New Painting and the 'print size' option before you begin as this will ensure that there are enough pixels for the printer to print at the required size at the chosen DPI.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the advice guys, sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I had a senior moment and forgot my login details. Anyway it came back to me this morning so, thanks again, much appreciated.