ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Blurry transformations

Twaager Guest

Blurry transformations

I tried ArtRage for my illustrations but I can not use it for Line Art. Why? I do some duplications and transformations and the line art quickly degrades to blurry. Not so in Painter or Photoshop. Lines remains crisp and clear. The example shows what happens. I drew the wheel in ArtRage but I duplicated half of the spokes and rotated them in place. They became blurry. Not only that; the drawing in ArtRage looks less crip and clear when exported from ArtRage (png file format) compared to Corel Painter and Photoshop. Therefore ArtRage is not useful for line art as much as Painter is (the line art program I use the most). Will ArtRage team correct this?

It could be due to sub pixel placement in the transform system or we may be using a slightly higher sample range which is giving a less dense result. Trying it here with some lines using the Ctrl-Drag line system (which is probably faster than transforming and higher quality than any of the transform examples you use BTW) I see a small difference after transformation. Make sure you use the arrow keys to position, they keep things to full pixel boundaries rather than allowing sub pixel motion.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Twaager Guest

I understand, but...

The following images shows what happens. There is avisible difference in sharpness between ArtRage rendering of the line and the Painter and Photoshop. As you can clearly? see the Artrage differs a bit.
    1. the original line drawn in AR
    2. the duplicated line moved with the arrow key
    3. the duplicated line moved by hand
    4. the angeld line

Not a big difference, but still it makes ArtRage a bit "softer" and not as useful for illustrating. I would like the more crisp rendering like in Painter or Photoshop, if it is possible.

Thanks you for answering!

Set the canvas zoom to 100%, before moving the selected object. Doing so locks the pixel placement to whole numbers, keeping the blurring from occurring. It only works when moving an object though, because transforming an object means it has to edit the pixels.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

When we first conceived ArtRage we wanted to make it less 'pixel-centric' - the real world doesn't have pixels and when you move something in the real world you're not constrained to placing them on discrete pixel boundaries. So in ArtRage if you are zoomed in and moving something we allow it to be placed on non-pixel boundaries. It was an interesting idea to explore (ArtRage is full of ways of dealing with graphics which differ from most other painting applications), but in many cases it appears artists actually do want to place things on exact pixel boundaries.
    Currently that can be achieved by doing transforms at 100% zoom level. We are also considering making the sub-pixel placement an option, rather than the default.
    It's not a technical limitation of ArtRage. It's just that we were trying to get away from treating the canvas as a digital surface and trying to think of it more as a real-world surface.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Twaager Guest

I get it..! I've got it..!

When I use ArtRage I do it for many good reasons. When I don't I do it for some other good reasons. One is the "a bit blurry transformation" while inking and moving things around on the screen. To be forced to do all transformations at 100% is not always easy. I look forward to the " making the sub-pixel placement an option, rather than the default." Great idea! Thanks for answering my questions.

Twaager Guest

ArtRage makes me want some more...

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Set the canvas zoom to 100%, before moving the selected object. Doing so locks the pixel placement to whole numbers, keeping the blurring from occurring. It only works when moving an object though, because transforming an object means it has to edit the pixels.
    I understand all that, but still ArtRage makes me want some more out of this great software. Corel Painter makes it better and Photoshop too since I don't have to do this 100% thing and they also renders lines mor clear. ArtRage has to catch up on this issue to become more professional usable.
    Last edited by Twaager; 05-13-2012 at 07:24 PM.