Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pencil Portrait

What a wonderful job with the pencil. Excellent!!!
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Oooh, thanks "barnburner" and "eighty+", the trouble with coming back to the forum is that I end up looking at everyone's gallery paintings and not drawing my art.

"Caesar", thanks hun, I surprised myself with my second work as, for some reason I thought that digital art might be filling in some of the gaps in my art, like a sort of artistic spell checker on automatic correction mode. Seeing that I can do the same thing in real life as in AR was great news to me, and it dissolved those automatic correction fears I had. I love AR even more now. All I have to remember is when I am doing real life drawings, I must be a little more disciplined and start from the top left corner and work to the right and down, as my work is getting a little smudgy and unlike with AR I can't as easily delete.

I agree with you about the watercolour. I thought I nailed it one time, then when I wanted to do another watercolour I just could not get the same effects and couldn't work out why. I still enjoy trying to do it though, but for now, I think I will lean over to the use of the pencil tool. I'm off now to have a look at your 500+ images in your gallery. Phew!
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

Oh, what an undeserved honour for me and my messy gallery of everything!
    I feel a little shameful then since, doing all my works for fun, I've neither the discipline nor the patience to work along a good planning and more than few hours (in some of the best cases) to get what I imagine, quite often without recourse to some helpful reference picture ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Very nice and certainly an interesting approach...when I first saw this I thought I would try a portrait just using the pencil tool...but gave up when it came to the cross hatching etc....too spoiled with all the other tools in Artrage !!!!!

great to see your work on pencil portraits. good stuff. and to see them printed is delightful.

Very good artwork with the pencil,I always thought that if you can do a good pencil drawing,then you should be able to do a good painting,. Looking forward to seeing more of your work, well done ...Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Thanks again everyone, by popular demand, I have another treat for you. I was speaking to "Caesar" and grumbling about how my work was smudging my graphite all over because I did not start systematically and just jumped in there like I would with AR. Then it occurred to me that maybe I should smudge where I want to, and not by accident. The whole thing is coming together quite nicely IMHO.

"jonwood", you could try to increase the pencil % thickness then use the hard shader preset in the pencil tool to block out some areas, then smudge them with the Pencil Blender from the palette knife tool. This is what I have done in the past, but clean forgot about doing the smudging trick with the my paper stump on my current project until I spoke to "Caesar"

"screenpainter" I appreciate your praise, thank you. I have a bit of a gallery going on in my hobby room, with all my digital art and traditional art and I swap them out when I do something new. That way I can see how I progress and learn to love my failures too.

Very good artwork with the pencil,I always thought that if you can do a good pencil drawing,then you should be able to do a good painting,. Looking forward to seeing more of your work, well done
    "jacktar51", hmmm, I think for me the jury is still out on that for me, as the colour is difficult for me to get right, but I know what you mean and I'm experimenting all the time. Thanks for the encouragement, and here is the drawing at its latest stage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#DSCF6103.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	66829
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

Beautiful portraits, great pencil work!
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

Such a great idea and excellent results you achieved!
    I the way you have bridged the gap between real media and digital
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. (Mark Twain)

Yeah PaperTree... nice drawings out there. You know how to hold a pencil

Best,

Weeks
    Last edited by Weeks; 05-12-2012 at 07:52 AM.