ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Chapter 13 Murder on the Mountain

Chapter 13 Murder on the Mountain

In the painting, the Knight, has been verbally abused and shaken by his lover, and now walks back to his place thru the park, forbidden to be with her, as punishment for his failure.

Chapter 13

After mistakenly killing Lela instead of Misty, 'The Knight' was both angry and confused. His standing instructions were to wait four hours after completing his assignment, then to come to his lover's place. After putting away his costume, he walked the streets, trying to decide what he should do next. Should he show up as normal? Should he stay away? The more he thought about it, the more confused and anxious he became. He cursed her. Why had she not prepared him for this situation? Why had she not forseen that a mistake might have been made, and given him instructions to cover this situation? It was not fair to subject him to this kind of stress. She knew that he didn't deal with stress very well.
    Finally, lacking any other approved option, at the appointed time, he walked to her place and stopped across the street. A two foot tall statue was setting on her windowsill. He cared not who the statue represented, all he knew, was that if the statue was not there, it meant she had company. If the statue was visible from the street, it meant it was safe for him to come to the door.
    In less than ten seconds from his first knock on the door, she pulled the door open and waved him in. As always, he was excited as he looked at her. Many times, and this was one of those times, her beauty took his breath away.
    Her eyes were firm and unwavering. "Well?," she asked. "What happened?"
    Her obvious disapproval was like a punch to the gut for him. His legs felt weak, and he couldn't seem to lift his eyes off the floor. "I just don't know. I mean, she looked just like Misty. I've seen those clothes on her several times. I just knew it was her."
    "But, it wasn't, was it,?" she asked.
    With his eyes still seemingly nailed to the floor, he responded. "No. It wasn't."
    Almost three minutes of her silence passed without a word. For him, that was the equivalent of mental torture. At last, she inhaled, and then exhaled a deep breath. "Well, what's done is done," she said quietly.
    His eyes raised from the floor and looked at his lover again, as he began to feel the weight of responsibility being lifted from his shoulders. Nervously, he asked. "Does that mean...Can....Can... I mean, can we...
    "NO!," her angry voice shot back. How dare you to expect me to reward you after such a stupid mistake. Don't you see what you have done? By killing the wrong person, you make us out to be commonplace criminals, instead of history makers. With one blunder, you have put everything we have done in jeopardy." She walked over and standing nose to nose, looked into his eyes. "The authorities have been running around in circles. They have been both confused and discouraged. Now, they know you screwed up. They now know that we are not perfect, that you can make a mistake. Your lack of attention to detail has given them hope and encouragement."
    Uncertain as to what to say, he tried to apologize. "I'm sorry, I..."
    Pointing to the door, she said. "Your being sorry, is not going to mean much, if your mistake causes us to get caught, or killed. Now, go back to your apartment and wait. I must think about this, and decide what must be done to shift the advantage back to us. Say not another word. Just get out, and do it now."
    'The Knight', the serial killer, that had put unmistakeable terror in the lives of the people in all three colonies, now slipped out the door like a beaten puppy. Without being touched once, this feared murderer was reduced to a frightened little boy by nothing more than the disapproval of his lover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chastised.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	454.5 KB 
ID:	66788  
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

I'm glad to read and see such a quick following part of the story!
    Well this chapter didn't add any further cue or indication to my previous guessings on the guilties and the motive (or the serial murders scheme), but it better clarified this strange relationship balance. The illustration is neat and follows Your well defined style and, should have we not read the previous chapters, it would be quite hard to realize that such a view and scene are actually on the moon.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I'm glad to read and see such a quick following part of the story!
    Well this chapter didn't add any further cue or indication to my previous guessings on the guilties and the motive (or the serial murders scheme), but it better clarified this strange relationship balance. The illustration is neat and follows Your well defined style and, should have we not read the previous chapters, it would be quite hard to realize that such a view and scene are actually on the moon.
    If you have an idea on who the killer(s) are, then you are one up on me. I'm still trying to figure it out. Thanks Caesar, much appreciate.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Well if You too are not firmly sure neither as yet , I'd better shut up even more tightly on my suspects and reasoning or I'll risk to drive You into an excessively surprising end or in some sort of conceptual labyrinth ...
    I apologize, but I've no real idea on how a thriller is written as a process after starting from some sort of idea.
    My brain try to work the way it used to when i was a boy while I was reading Agatha Christie's thrillers and I uncontrollably tried to logically match all the clues and cues I could find and recall in the book to guess the killer some pages before the revelation. A challenging and intriguing task and I must say that when I was young I was brilliant enough to succeed in many cases ...
    Last edited by Caesar; 05-11-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Well if You too are not firmly sure neither as yet , I'd better shut up even more tightly on my suspects and reasoning or I'll risk to drive You into an excessively surprising end or in some sort of conceptual labyrinth ...
    I apologize, but I've no real idea on how a thriller is written as a process after starting from some sort of idea.
    My brain try to work the way it used to when i was a boy while I was reading Agatha Christie's thrillers and I uncontrollably tried to logically match all the clues and cues I could find and recall in the book to guess the killer some pages before the revelation. A challenging and intriguing task and I must say that when I was young I was brilliant enough to succeed in many cases ...
    Yeah, I've always tried to anticipate who the guilty party(ies) were when I read mystery novels. Sometimes when I'm writing a mystery type story, I do start out with a designated bad guy/girl in mind. Othertimes, like this one, I just started out with a beginning, and kind of let it take me where it goes.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

I have a lot of catching up to do Mike, and I am looking forward to it. A great illustration dear friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I have a lot of catching up to do Mike, and I am looking forward to it. A great illustration dear friend.
    Thank you very much Sandy. Very much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: