ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodge and Burn Liveing thread.....

Dodge and Burn Liveing thread.....

Color dodge and color burn are handy tools to use. This week you need to produce a painting all of one color but use dodge and burn to produce the details of the picture. Enjoy. Here is a cheezy example. Concider this a liveing thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dodge and burn creation for contest..jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	66701
    Last edited by shadowslake; 05-11-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Was just wondering if anyone has taken interest in this contest?

Just a thought here, I know we haven't properly met. I'm David aka Fashmir. As there is not a specific set of tools for dodge and burn in AR, like in Photoshop and other image software, some might not be sure what you mean.

For any who want to participate and are unsure about the method I will guess that just making a layer of color, then above that a layer set to blend mode linear dodge and another set to linear burn would do the trick. Just paint white on the dodge layer and black on the burn layer.

Alternatively you could use one of the tools that employs blend modes such as the airbrush tool and set the tool setting to dodge and burn.

Is that what you have in mind Shadowslake?
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

There is, of course, a fantastic tutorial on how to use Dodge and Burn in Artrage in the Technical or Art Supplies section I believe. It's quite detailed, and very good. We might post a link to it in this thread?
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fashmir View Post
    Just a thought here, I know we haven't properly met. I'm David aka Fashmir. As there is not a specific set of tools for dodge and burn in AR, like in Photoshop and other image software, some might not be sure what you mean.

For any who want to participate and are unsure about the method I will guess that just making a layer of color, then above that a layer set to blend mode linear dodge and another set to linear burn would do the trick. Just paint white on the dodge layer and black on the burn layer.

Alternatively you could use one of the tools that employs blend modes such as the airbrush tool and set the tool setting to dodge and burn.

Is that what you have in mind Shadowslake?
    The entire contest is about introduceing to those who dont know about thease tools to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    There is, of course, a fantastic tutorial on how to use Dodge and Burn in Artrage in the Technical or Art Supplies section I believe. It's quite detailed, and very good. We might post a link to it in this thread?

Here is the link to the tutorial.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...urn-in-Artrage

Enjoy.

I guess I will see by friday if this contest was complete failure. Hope some take part. Do I need to stop doing the contest at this point?

Today is the last day. Hurry before it is too late.

I think the idea of the contests are fun, but with the way my life works, once a week is not really a possibility. Once a month, yes. Once every 2 weeks, maybe. Carving out a few hours for myself as a dad and a business owner, etc etc is just very difficult. The issue with this specific contest, in my mind, if I may politely say so, is that its subject matter that excites me, not the usage of the tools. Just my two cents.

I totally think its cool you're doing it though. The dragon one sounded fun, but it was over before I got a chance to really sit down and compose something. Hopefully, I'll be able to participate in some later ones.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

I think I tend to agree as better weather comes upon us much more time spent outdoors and less time to oneself in front of the computer.
    Maybe extend all contests to 2 weeks to improve participation.
    Geoff