ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Is there a way to select colors from outside of Artrage?

Is there a way to select colors from outside of Artrage?

I'm trying to figure out if I can do this. I'd like to pick a color from another pic and then port it into an active painting in Artrage. My current understanding is that this can't be done. True? It's a feature that would be nice. I'm trying to build a simple CMYK palette to streamline the process of selecting print safe stuff, and using an outside color wheel or image to select from would be helpful.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Steve, you could always load a new photo as a reference image then pick the colours from that. On the iPad I often load something with the colour I would like to use, then remove it later.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

You could also load an image as a custom colour picker. View -> Custom Color Picker Collection -> Import picker supports standard image types. The advantage of using a reference image is that you can scale it to your prefered size though.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I use the contextual Color Picker all the time-- it's my favorite way of working-- and would love to be able to bring up a Custom Color Picker in the same way that I bring up the contextual one. Is that possible?

If not, my presumption is that I might be able to bring the Reference Image up on screen through a keystroke shortcut? I'm using a tablet pc, and work with Autohotkey to build onscreen buttons that send commands to the active window (like Artrage!). This saves lots of screen real estate because I can work in Clear Canvas mode, and yet have a small selection of buttons to start shortcuts (like Shift or Alt or Ctrl, etc). I'm looking to do something similar with a Color Picker or a reference image. That's where I'm headed.

I'll check out the reference image idea first-- I might be able to bring over a jpeg of a more sophisticated PS swatches palette, and use that.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

You can set a keyboard shortcut to hide all references and show all references in Edit -> Set Keyboard Shortcuts -> Reference images. Not sure if that's quite what you're looking for but that may help.

The quick colour picker ( the ctrl + alt + left click one ) only appears in one format, so won't work with custom colour pickers I'm afraid
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design