Thread: a photoshoper has some questions :)

a photoshoper has some questions :)

Hi, I downloaded the free version of Artrage just to dabble and see if I should buy the full version....and must admit that it is very fun. I'm used to working with Photoshop for illustration work, so I've got a couple of questions.

1-can you pick the canvas size and dpi of an artrage document?
    2-can you pick colors directly from the art itself or just from the palettes?

I know, total newbie stuff, but I just got here!
    thanks
    Md

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Doonboy - welcome to the forums.
    In ArtRage full you currently can choose the pixel size of the canvas, but not the size in inches with DPI.
    I can hint that we're adding that to the next release of ArtRage 2, and that it will come as part of a free update. We've had soooo many people ask for DPI support!

With the colour sampler you can sample from anything - reference images, your current painting, the tracing overlay, or the colour pickers.
    You have the option of sampling from a single layer, or all layers combined, with or without lighting and metallic effects.

As well as supporting colour swatch sets, ArtRage allows you to create custom pickers. So you can use any of the 6 standard (HLS, HSL, LSH, RGB, RBG, BGR) colour pickers (with numeric entry if you MUST), or you can capture a section of your canvas if you've mixed colours there, or load an image to use as colour picker.

And of course the full version supports import/export of Photoshop PSDs with all layers and layer blend modes intact.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    I can hint that we're adding that to the next release of ArtRage 2, and that it will come as part of a free update. We've had soooo many people ask for DPI support!
    oh thank goodness! a great save for that math impaired...not that im... ops: ..i have this friend.......

Selby :wink:
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

thanks for the info. I notice that the file format "ptg" can't be opened in other applications, is this just in the trial version I'm using? Can Artrage files be imported to photoshop or painter?

Gallery
    View images
    PTG is our native format, which supports a whole bunch of things useful for ArtRage such as bump, paint thickness, paint wetness, lighting and so on. While other applications don't currently support PTG, you can export ArtRage files, complete with layers, as layered PSD files, or as JPG, BMP and PNG files via "Export As Image" under the File menu.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design