ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: I sturggle with faces. Stage 1 oil.

I sturggle with faces. Stage 1 oil.

Have I improved. I know it is not finished but I am tired for the night.

Name:  face stage 1.png
Views: 160
Size:  64.7 KB

Hi ShadowSlake,
    Well, it's not finished, but a good start anyway.

Best,

Weeks

Cool.

I will make a recommendation that may make it less work for you. When one can, its generally a rule of thumb to paint with the biggest brush that does the job, and thereafter get smaller brushes to work detail. It allows you to, as we say, 'block' in the large shapes. And there's a world of reasons for doing that. It sets up a road map more or less if you cover a whole canvas loosely. This works best when you are working opaquely because you build up your painting rather than fill in. Filling in is more generally for watercolor where you have to have it sorted out pretty early on in the painting if not before you even start painting.

But this is general talk. people break rules all the time. It's just good to have a concept of routine to aim for as it allows you then to focus on the reason for painting.

Jolly looking face. Looking good.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Weeks View Post
    Hi ShadowSlake,
    Well, it's not finished, but a good start anyway.

Best,

Weeks
    Thank you Weeks. Yes it is a start. I have a ways to go but I have to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Cool.

I will make a recommendation that may make it less work for you. When one can, its generally a rule of thumb to paint with the biggest brush that does the job, and thereafter get smaller brushes to work detail. It allows you to, as we say, 'block' in the large shapes. And there's a world of reasons for doing that. It sets up a road map more or less if you cover a whole canvas loosely. This works best when you are working opaquely because you build up your painting rather than fill in. Filling in is more generally for watercolor where you have to have it sorted out pretty early on in the painting if not before you even start painting.

But this is general talk. people break rules all the time. It's just good to have a concept of routine to aim for as it allows you then to focus on the reason for painting.

Jolly looking face. Looking good.
    Thanks for the tip. Took 4hrs to get this far. I am still a noob and have dificulty going from vision to production. I appriciate the help.
    Last edited by shadowslake; 05-03-2012 at 12:51 AM.

I think I made her face to long. Any sugestions on how I can take away from it and not louse to much of her face or is it ok so far? It is so hard to know what is good and what needs to go away or still needs work sometimes.

I can perceive the struggle and the bumps and swells this face got from fighting. Anyway You're not far and You certainly improved quite a lot here.
    Maybe it would be helpful to start sketching lightly the outline of the face nose/nostrils and eyes/ eyebrows to then use the lighter tone all over the face area (on another layer) and then darker traits where You see darker tones, shadows in the eyes, lips, nose/nostrils, eyebrows areas.
    If You were able to turn an image into these two extreme tones (You may do with filters and/ or fillings/ or color burning/dodging as well), You're there. It becomes just a matter of tone transition considering more or less impinging light reflection on the curved skin surface ....
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I can perceive the struggle and the bumps and swells this face got from fighting. Anyway You're not far and You certainly improved quite a lot here.
    Maybe it would be helpful to start sketching lightly the outline of the face nose/nostrils and eyes/ eyebrows to then use the lighter tone all over the face area (on another layer) and then darker traits where You see darker tones, shadows in the eyes, lips, nose/nostrils, eyebrows areas.
    If You were able to turn an image into these two extreme tones (You may do with filters and/ or fillings/ or color burning/dodging as well), You're there. It becomes just a matter of tone transition considering more or less impinging light reflection on the curved skin surface ....
    Thank you Caesar. Would you recomment useing the airbursh and useing dodge and burn to turn this around a little in the right direction? I dont think you can do so with oil paint in the program? I know there are extreams in the dark and light areas so far and was not satified with it but I did not wish for it to look flat. I am also struggling with the nose. Where it meets the fore head transition I get confused as to how to do it properly. After 4 hrs of working on it I was tired and quit for the night. Will start again tonight to try to improve it.

I saw the latter one and commented on it, so it's good to see the starting point.