ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Pear #2

Pear #2

... chalk and water (chalk wash) ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Pete, the pear is fairly bursting in form and color.. the lighting appears not be be from the outside but the inner form expressing plastically the pear- ness..

your work is always fascinating. the skin does not seem smooth so not really my usual idea of a pear. perhaps more towards a potato. still I can appreciate the elements and techniques. I like the granular bits left appearing as splatters below and around the pear where it looks like you may have used a mild eraser to more clearly define the shape. love the grainy look.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 05-03-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Gary and SP,

Thanks ... there's a quotation attributed to Rothko and posted in one of the rooms to the current exhibition at PAM: "The subject of the painting is the painting itself" ... that's been true since Cezanne painted broken tables, misshapen vases and multicolored hard-glazed fruit ... but you can probably find earlier examples, and today the idea has been repeated so often, it no longer seems fresh ... in Pear #2, I was trying play down natural lighting by substituting surface lighting, exploring how the surface might look if you were to get very close to the pear, which is why it's isolated and enlarged ... So that's the grainy quality ... and the marks left by erasure are supposed to impart motion, as I tried to do with White Cup ... But all this is theory, and the painting is what it is ...
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Very nice, I also thought potatoe when I first looked, but then I read and I like your pear shape