ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to WACOM

Alternatives to WACOM

Hey guys, I spent a lot of time researching, watching reviews, looking up prices, etc.. I don't yet have any experience with any of these products, but I want to let you know that there are in fact alternative products out there to the WACOM brand.

The following is an updated post from from THIS thread, where you can find some great info from the community about their experiences with tablet PCs for sketching/painting.
    I still don't know what I'm going to do for my situation, but here's some info I hope can help those who are interested in purchasing a drawing tablet device.

The alternative I'm considering now is attaching this little guy to the top of a just powerful enough Laptop (it doesn't require an external power source other than your computer).. That should essentially cut my costs in half, plus it seems like this, the Yiynova 10.1" Digitizer LCD (around 300 US dollars), has competitive or possibly superior specs to the screen on most tablet PCs. I'm really looking forward to trying it.

Anyway, if I went with this combo (assuming I can find a good small laptop [the smaller it is while still being able to power through artrage studio pro, the better]) , I'll be saving myself the funds to build the amazing desktop computer I've never had.

At the same time, I'm still eager for a large drawing surface experience like the cintiq offers (and would love to pair this with my new desktop I'm planning on building), and I've surprised at the large number of alternative devices beyond the WACOM brand.

Yiynova MSP19 19" Tablet LCD around 500 US dollars
    P-Active XPC about 1460 US dollars for the 19inch
    Designerpad O suggested price by manufacturer at 1,280 US dollars
    UC-logic TM19W01 price: not sure
    Kingtee aka BOSTO around 450 US dollars

There's also these guys, who will send you a kit to build your own CINTIQ from your own Intuos 4 and maybe other tablets if you inquire (kits are around 500 US dollars). (I'm thinking I might try this out)

Meanwhile, Yiynova actually has their own tablet PC, though I don't know how you'd get a hold of one outside of China. I'm very curious to the quality of this thing. The gut reaction is 'oh, it's crap', but reviews on that little 10.1inch digitizer LCD and the 19" are pretty positive.

Also, for those just looking for a great drawing tablet, sans the screen, you can get what is apparently an amazing, better than WACOM quality tablet, for 50 US dollars for the 6.25x10".... Monoprice. This is almost worth the price on curiosity alone.. Now there's no reason to be painting with a mouse!!

Stop drinking the koolaid, folks. There are alternatives. Let WACOM know they don't have a stranglehold on the market like they think they do!

This guy wrote a review recently about an alternative to Wacom, and it works with ArtRage

Well, unless any of these alternatives use a battery free mouse and or pen, forget it. I'm sick to death of batteries.

genius tablet

i Have a Genius Tablet, i buy it under a $100

Name:  0000843.jpg
Views: 5200
Size:  23.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Polioliolio View Post
    Hey guys, I spent a lot of time researching, watching reviews, looking up prices, etc.. I don't yet have any experience with any of these products, but I want to let you know that there are in fact alternative products out there to the WACOM brand.

The following is an updated post from from THIS thread, where you can find some great info from the community about their experiences with tablet PCs for sketching/painting.
    I still don't know what I'm going to do for my situation, but here's some info I hope can help those who are interested in purchasing a drawing tablet device.

Stop drinking the koolaid, folks. There are alternatives. Let WACOM know they don't have a stranglehold on the market like they think they do!

I'll stick with my Wacom any day. They don't have a 'stranglehold' on the market, they're so popular because they're that good.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

While I haven't tried the Yiynova msp19U (the "U" part being critical, as it represents the most recent iteration and it's that version which is noticeably improved).... while I haven't tried it, it's been very well reviewed by a number of artists.

Wacom is clearly wonderful and very good, but most people don't have $2,000 to spend on a Cintiq. That makes painting digitally on a screen only a rich man's game, or a professional's game. Being able to spend 500$ on an alternative 19" screen is well worth discussing, IMO. The Yiynova tablet also has significantly better screen tech. Cintiq's are pretty subpar compared to most modern LCD screens that people get for their computers.

Here's a review by an artist
    . You guys ought to check it out. As an experienced Wacom user, clearly aware of all it offers, it's interesting to hear him talk about what a Wacom device can't do compared to some of the alternatives. Innovation and competition is always a good thing.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Ipad as tablet

Hi I am new to artrage... can I use an ipad 1 as a tablet to artrage?

As far as i now not. But there is ArtRage version for Ipad :-), check it on ambientdesign site
    I'm the happiest man in the world. I just don't know this, yet.

my gallery: http://members.artrage.com/gallery/32810

Well in the past ten years or so I've used in order

A5 - Aiptek (ten years ago) - got me started and introduced me to the possiblility that art really could be produced straight into a pc without scanning. Battery pen and tended to produce jittery lines on the diagonal - At under 35 it was still good value as a starter kit.

A4 - Trust 6000 (eight years ago?) - Battery pen and same diagonal jitter issue. Cost less than 100, was solid enough but the diagonal jitter became annoying and the pen wasn't built as well as the tablet. Felt cheap. I hear better things about more current models

A4 - Wacom Intuos 1 - battery free pen, whoopee. Lighter and nice to hold. Connection needed an adaptor and might not even be possible to use with the newer Windows and Apple operating systems. Need to check that you if you are thinking of this. Great touch and response. No diagonal jitter problems. BUT - bought this second hand off Ebay for around 100 - which was good at the time - it began to develop problems after a couple of years constant use and I had to replace it with . . . . .

A4 & A5 - Wacom Intuos 3 - battery free pens that are great to hold. I have two separate systems and use two tablets. Bought these off Ebay as well (175 for the A5 and 225 for the A4 I think? can't recall exactly). Great tablets, with button control on them can free you from relying on keyboard use so much. Superb touch response. The A4 failed after a couple of years and I replaced it with another from Ebay. That has since failed as well!

I now have a Hanvon Artmaster III 13"x8" replacing the A4 Intuos 3, and it cost less than 175 new. Battery free pen, and in fact the Wacom pen from the Intuos works with it, as well as the TWO pens provided as standard with the tablet. It boasts 2048 levels of pressure response like the Wacom and has a number of progammable buttons on board. Coming from a Chinese stable it has been criticised for feeling shoddy, but I would have to disagree. It is a sleek slate of touch responsive blackness, and a similarly sized Wacom would have cost me double the price. It does NOT have any of the new touch features of the top models. It is a straightforward tablet.

This is the tablet and the sort of price I paid. Compare it to the Wacom equivalent and balance up if it's worth taking the chance on a lesser known name brand . . . .. ? Your choice. You could get the smaller one for less than 120 - great value.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hanvon-Art...item41687000e8

I have had a few issues with setting up the right combination of ArtRage tablet drivers to work well with it. AR has three that can be on or off in combination. Mine is attached to an XP system at present although that may change within the next few months to a Windows 7 system.

My other (already Windows 7 system) still has the A5 Wacom Intuos 3 attached and fingers crossed that is working fine.

Hope this offers more perspective for you.
    Last edited by Nickillus; 03-27-2013 at 01:53 AM.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card