ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winters Day

Winters Day

Sketch and starting to lay down first wash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow_on_the_porch_01.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	66548  
    Last edited by jbeau; 04-29-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Added some color to the house.

Name:	snow_on_the_porch_02.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	66549  

shifted the sky color to match the ground wash. Also changed the house blue color to match.

Here is tree #1...

this has been a challenge, but I finally think I have something I can work with. Erased some of the sketch and multiplied that one top of the WC to reveal some of the drybrush and wet on wet on the trunks. I think I may keep portions of the sketch faded out as I move forward. I will probably introduce more loose pencil too.

There are a couple more trees on the side and 3 small ones, and other one by the house in background, ugh. Then there is grass...

Edit: SOS grass to the rescue!

Name:	snow_on_the_porch_04.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	492.9 KB 
ID:	66551  
    Last edited by jbeau; 04-29-2012 at 02:28 PM.

first test with grass; may change it up. I used sos grass for the small grass next to the tree and darker grass on the far left.

Name:	snow_on_the_porch_05.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	494.2 KB 
ID:	66560  
    Last edited by jbeau; 04-29-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Awesome!

incredible job on that tree, I really dominates with it lacy fine branches and elegant shape... fantastic!..

I have to agree, that tree is fantastic. I'm curious how you're doing a few things, if you don't mind me asking.

First, for the wash in the sky, what kind of settings are you using for the watercolor brush? To get that kind of relatively even wash, I've had to turn the thinner down pretty far and then just pick a color with a lighter value-- too high of a setting on thinners was making the washes way too uneven. Are you doing something similar? Or a different process? I've been having a difficult time putting in sky and clouds, because I still haven't really mastered thinking about those white shapes negatively-- my sky always looks like clouds, and my clouds look like left over sky! If you know what I mean...

Also, on the tree, what kind of tool are you using for the branches? I would imagine it has to be a pencil or pen of some sort? And that you're just leaving the trunk and main branches for the watercolors? But then I zoomed in, and then tiny branches have a kind of gritty texture to them, which makes me think differently. It also looks like you brushed over some of them very lightly with a very soft eraser? There's an experience of sort of ambient light or atmospheric perspective in the tree when you zoom in. The tree is really nicely done.

As a minor side note-- I know you're not asking for critiques, but this tree is so awesome I can't help but want to get involved. Right now, the tree is very centered. I'm surprised you didn't position it off center just a little bit. I think it would suggest to your eye to meander around the painting more if the tree were shifted a bit. Just a thought.

Really great work jbeau. I've been loving your paintings, and am really glad you've joined the community. Its nice to see someone else really pushing the capabilities of the watercolors.

Thanks for the comments GXhPainter, DocSmith626 and SteveB!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I have to agree, that tree is fantastic. I'm curious how you're doing a few things, if you don't mind me asking.

First, for the wash in the sky, what kind of settings are you using for the watercolor brush? To get that kind of relatively even wash, I've had to turn the thinner down pretty far and then just pick a color with a lighter value-- too high of a setting on thinners was making the washes way too uneven. Are you doing something similar? Or a different process? I've been having a difficult time putting in sky and clouds, because I still haven't really mastered thinking about those white shapes negatively-- my sky always looks like clouds, and my clouds look like left over sky! If you know what I mean...
    Hi SteveB,
    I like the way you look at things are can break them down. First off, I've been having monitor gamma issues and the sky looks totally different then what I thought after looking on it on my IPAD. Can someone say monitor calibration?!? I need to revisit the sky, its just a mess. Since we are talking about the sky, here is the process. Thinner 40%, then back to thinner 90-100% to add white areas. I also used the eraser with various hard and soft settings. And finally I turned down the layer opacity to 65%.
    Sky's can be a pain! I keep looking at lots of traditional watercolor paintings and its forcing me to keep it simple. I like 2-3 color wet into wet, lots of thinner sky's. I may do that here...

...on the tree, what kind of tool are you using for the branches? I would imagine it has to be a pencil or pen of some sort? And that you're just leaving the trunk and main branches for the watercolors? But then I zoomed in, and then tiny branches have a kind of gritty texture to them, which makes me think differently. It also looks like you brushed over some of them very lightly with a very soft eraser? There's an experience of sort of ambient light or atmospheric perspective in the tree when you zoom in.
    The tree...
    First, I sketched out a large portion of the tree for mass and composition. The full tree was all done in pencil for the initial sketch with many layers separating the large vs thin branches as well as sectioning out the tree into 5 parts. I painted the tree all on black. Lots of the small branches had anti-aliasing issues, so the atmospheric effect was done primarily to minimize jigged pixels. After the first section was done, I made a stencil and bounced back from guide and stencil mode. This allowed me to continue to build and refine my new branches, while keeping all my layers intact without flattening. I went through this cycle 8-10 times until I got one large stencil. Then, I deleted all my pencil layers to free up memory as ArtRage was getting sluggish. The main stencil was then inverted and I began the initial washes with small load and thin washes throughout the tree. There is probably 4-5 layers of watercolor on the tree itself.

Right now, the tree is very centered. *I'm surprised you didn't position it off center just a little bit. *I think it would suggest to your eye to meander around the painting more if the tree were shifted a bit.
    After finishing the hero tree, I thought about just one tree in the center and working washes around it, with darker hues for a more somber feeling. It took awhile to paint that darn tree, but I'm going to stick with my original concept. I need to create some nice branches on the left side to introduce a tree in the foreground and that should help immediately.

Thanks for the questions SteveB and the compliments. I really appreciate your watercolor learning thread and all your contributions to the progression of this medium. It is your work and ideas that inspired me to create this piece and try something new.

Best Regards,
    Jeremy Beauchamp

I had the same questions about the watercolor

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for answering Steve's questions I had the same questions. I also really like your work.

Best Denny

No problem Denny, thanks for looking and commenting.
    I'm here to help, share and learn. You'll see me posting WIP's so feel free to ask questions or make comments. I always work on 2-3 pieces at a time, as it helps keep things fresh.