ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPad Artrage recording playback is not consistent

iPad Artrage recording playback is not consistent

I've had Artrage on my iPad for a few months now and like it, but just bought Artrage Studio for the sole purpose of being able to playback recordings in higher resolution. Just bought Studio today and tried a few tests.

When I try to play back the recording Studio says that some of the script is not compatible, etc. and implies that it only works with Studio Pro.

The first test was loading an image on the iPad, converting to paint, smearing around, then exporting the finished piece for playback in Studio. All that happens is the canvas is reproduced. Nothing else.

Then, I made a simple painting and tried that. At original resolution, it still says that some of the features won't be compatible. Really? All I did was squirt some paint and smear it around with the palette knife. Not even THAT is compatible?! This time it played back, but the characteristics I'd selected for the palette knife were just blurred and not what they looked like on the iPad.

Then, I tried the same script but tried playback at 3000x4000px and the only part that played back was the paint and not any of the palette knife at all.

If this is a situation where most of the recording playback features from the iPad are not compatible with Studio, that should have been made clear instead of forcing an upgrade.

Unless I'm doing something wrong... I'm VERY disappointed and feel cheated.

palette knife

Just read in another post that the palette knife used in ipad app doesn't work when recorded and played back in Studio. Is this correct? If so, what other features in the ipad app don't work in scripts played back in Studio?

And, if I import a photo on the ipad, convert to paint.. and smear around the paint, then export script to Studio.. should that work?

The message you're seeing is telling you that some features supported in the version of the app that recorded the script are not supported by the version of the app playing it back. The message is not telling you that the script actually contains any of those features (hence you'll see it when you play back even a simple script that just applies paint).

This is because the only way to find out if any features in the recorded script are not actually supported would be to scan the whole thing, which would take too long. So, in the majority of cases you will find that the script should be reproduced with no problems. It's certainly not the case that 'most' of the features are not supported by Studio.

The Palette Knife has a couple features in the iPad version but not Studio. Specifically, Studio doesn't support two of the modes - Blur and Wet Blender. Other modes of the knife should work fine. The post you found on the forums probably indicates this. It shouldn't be saying that the palette knife doesn't work, because that's not the case.

If you used the standard palette knife modes (edge and flat, or smear) when mixing your imported photo it should be reproduced correctly when playing with Studio. If that is not the case, we can take a look at the script and see if there is anything wrong in there.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

import photo

Hi,

I just tried again... imported a photo on my ipad, converted to paint, used a non-blur/wet palette knife, then painted on the photo also and exported script... then play script in Studio.

What I get is a canvas... then nothing until it gets to the part where I painted on the photo. No photo, no smearing.

Does Studio need to reimport the same photo on the desktop, then convert to paint? If so, how to I let Studio know where the image is?

The script should store the photo when it was imported - Could you send me the script and I can take a look at it (if it's large, try zipping it, they zip down quite small most of the time). Send it to matt@ambientdesign.com and I'll see if I can work out what's happening.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

iPad scripts play strangely on Studio

I have many paintings that I have recorded on the iPad. I recently purchased Studio for my Mc in order to playback those scripts.
    When I play them back through Studio, theplay back works fine, but it translates things strangely. Its almost as if the brush stroke size is off or something.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Katie.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	483.6 KB 
ID:	70750

I frequently use custom presets on iPad, does that have any bearing?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Katiebad.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	363.1 KB 
ID:	70753

Could you zip the script file so that it's less than 10mb in size and email it to me at support@artrage.com so that I can take a look at it? This may help in working out what is happening for you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

script compatibility with studio pro

Hi, been playing with Artrage again on a new iPad 4 and wanted to know if it's still the case that Blur and Wet Blender when used in recorded scripts are not supported in Studio Pro? And, are there any others that don't work, or is those the only two?

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    The message you're seeing is telling you that some features supported in the version of the app that recorded the script are not supported by the version of the app playing it back. The message is not telling you that the script actually contains any of those features (hence you'll see it when you play back even a simple script that just applies paint).

This is because the only way to find out if any features in the recorded script are not actually supported would be to scan the whole thing, which would take too long. So, in the majority of cases you will find that the script should be reproduced with no problems. It's certainly not the case that 'most' of the features are not supported by Studio.

The Palette Knife has a couple features in the iPad version but not Studio. Specifically, Studio doesn't support two of the modes - Blur and Wet Blender. Other modes of the knife should work fine. The post you found on the forums probably indicates this. It shouldn't be saying that the palette knife doesn't work, because that's not the case.

If you used the standard palette knife modes (edge and flat, or smear) when mixing your imported photo it should be reproduced correctly when playing with Studio. If that is not the case, we can take a look at the script and see if there is anything wrong in there.

The blur and wet blender knife modes aren't available in ArtRage Studio, they have always been fine when playing back the script in Studio Pro. Those are the only two tool functions that are not supported in Studio.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    The blur and wet blender knife modes aren't available in ArtRage Studio, they have always been fine when playing back the script in Studio Pro. Those are the only two tool functions that are not supported in Studio.
    That's interesting... I'm still seeing some of the actions I'm doing with the palette knife not rendering via script in Studio Pro. Or, perhaps they simply don't look the same as when I used them on the iPad. Will play with it some more and try to give you specifics, but I'm certain that I can't import a photo into Art Rage on the iPad... record the script... then playback the script via Studio pro and get the same results as I did on the iPad. Perhaps my version of Studio Pro needs to be updated? Or maybe it doesn't work so well with imported photos converted to paint?

Will pay closer attention and report back.