ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How can I prevent 'bumping' at layer merge..

How can I prevent 'bumping' at layer merge..

I'm painting a very large image with about 20 or so layers.. Sometimes it seems as if it's about to slowdown big time, and I want to avoid it getting to that.

Anyway, I started combining layers, when I noticed that a glare I was putting on some eyes using the ink pen, once joined with another layer, became bumped as if it were paint.. Is there a way to prevent this or should I just be sure not to combine any layers with ink and paint?

Also, is there a way to weaken or turn off the general depth of the paint visible in each stroke?

Thanks.

That sounds odd. There should be no visible change after merging layers. One of AR team may be able to help you further with that.

As for the 3D paint rendering, you can't turn it down, but you may turn it off. In ArtRage 2.6, the shortcut key for this was F5. This should work in the Studios as well, but since the keys are customizable, some people may have switched the F5 keys usage. In that case, one may also open the Canvas Setting panel and toggle the lighting on/off by clicking on the light bulb icon.

Keep in mind, that turning the lighting off, will make anything that uses it flat, including the appearance of the canvas grain.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

The other thing I'd look at is whether the layers have different blending modes, because they will tend to go to a default normal if they do. It's not a problem if you are combining it with an opaque area layer beneath, but if there are any transparent areas, the 'normalising' of the upper layer blend mode will most likely affect its look in those areas.

Did that make any sense at all? I know what I mean but am not explaining it very well.

Say you had a candle painted on a middle layer of an image with a glow over the top set to overlay - when you merge them the glow will have lost it's 'overlay' quality for the layers remaining beneath and not work the same way.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Regarding paint thickness, if you increase the value of the 'thinners' slider, in the settings panel when using the oil brush, the paint will be applied less thickly.

I haven't seen bump appearing on merge with the ink pen, as this tool doesn't apply bump itself. If the appearance is changing it may relate to how blend modes work. Do you have your painting prior to merge? If so, could you crop it down to a small area which will exhibit the problem and is 10mb or less in size, then email that to me at support@artrage.com with details on which layers you were merging? I should be able to tell you what's happening.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hey,

the solution is to make a basic layer as the lowest layer and file it with one color (I mostly choose the canvas color)
    when you merge the layers now, the blend-mode do not change
    hope that helps, it does for me

Greetings

That's a good way of doing it with the way that Photoshop-style blend modes work.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

in Artrage 2. ... when making a new work, Artrage makes a basic layer in the canvascolor
    in 3. ... is does not so I make that layer before merging layers with a blending mode

Greetings

@ Polioliolio,
    if you use Artrage 3, before merging layers set the inkt layer 'bump blend mode' to replace
    when merging layers now, the structure of the layer beneath is replaced by the inkt layer
    hope that helps

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by GekkouJin View Post
    @ Polioliolio,
    if you use Artrage 3, before merging layers set the inkt layer 'bump blend mode' to replace
    when merging layers now, the structure of the layer beneath is replaced by the inkt layer
    hope that helps

Greetings
    Thanks, that makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

I was thinking that my problem might have been that I had used paint and ink on the same layer, and in the merge something leveled out between them.. but your above suggestion ought to be the fix. I'll try it out.