ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Palette Knife / Blur with Locked Alpha Channel

Question Palette Knife / Blur with Locked Alpha Channel

Hello,

I would like to smooth my shading-layers (top left) with the knife tool in the blur mode. When I lock the alpha channel of the layer to ensure that regions outside my shaded area won't be affected (bottom left), the tool treats every transparent pixel as white causing the border of the area get brighter (top right).

Is there a possibility to let artrage treat transparent pixels as 0.5-grey or to ignore them like pixels outside the canvas area (bottom right)?

(Sorry if this is a duplicate, i didn't find anything in the search.)

Greetings,
    phi1010
    Attached Images Attached Images  

hy Phi1010,

I made a quick example demonstrating how to blur a selection without getting white halos - to see how I did it, please play the attached script (which includes some explanations).

hope that helps

Name:  120421_BLUR.png
Views: 133
Size:  79.8 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files
    >>> MSIE's ArtRage Gallery <<<

"It's a living growing mutating art sculpture painting synthesis." (quote screenpainter)

Thanks, not exactly what i tried to because it blurs everything equally, but still much better than before. =D

Quote Originally Posted by phi1010 View Post
    Thanks, not exactly what i tried to because it blurs everything equally, but still much better than before. =D
    well yeah I've been lazy - instead of blurring the whole layer you can just use the palette knife blur on each layer's copy and blur individually ...

the main point is to duplicate the original layer and blur it several times with decreasing blur percentage to reduce the white halo on the edges. when satisfied, just merge those layers and carry on with your painting
    >>> MSIE's ArtRage Gallery <<<

"It's a living growing mutating art sculpture painting synthesis." (quote screenpainter)