ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stop cursor from toggling

stop cursor from toggling

Hi,
    I'm using the big tools as a cursor in Art Rage. Sometimes it starts to toggle between this cursor and the windows cursor. Only when I hit my tablet does the cursor change to the ArtRage cursor. It doesn't seem to happen all the time. What is it, how can I stop this windows cursor invasion?

Can you explain what you mean by hitting your tablet? Does it only change back when you start a paint stroke, or do you have to do something else. The tool cursor should always be a tool cursor over the canvas but will change to a windows cursor over panels. Are you working in clear canvas mode?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I'm not sure what clear canvas is.
    The tool turns into an arrow everytime I finish a stroke and it stays as an arrow until I touch the tablet with the pen again to make the next stroke. But it doesn't always happen. I haven't found out yet what I'm doing different when it happens.

Clear Canvas mode is the mode in which all of the interface is hidden. If you can see panels on the screen then that's not the cause.

Could you let us know the details of your computer - including the operating system, and whether the computer is a desktop computer, a laptop etc. It could be that there is something on the system interfering with the cursor.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Next time it happens I will check if there are any pods. I changed to airo cursors now maybe that can make a difference.

It does seem to occur in the clear canvas mode. When there are a lot of pods on my screen and I use right mouse to clear the canvas in all the places were there was a pod the cursor starts to toggle. So I guess you have to close all the pods first before going clear canvas mode?

I'm running into another problem now with assigning the function keys to the differents pods. I have F6 to show the tools pod, F7 to show the settings, F8 to show color samples and F9 to show the color wheel. I'm working in clear canvas, F7 and F8 work fine but F6 and F9 only show the tool and color wheel for a second and than they dive under again. There is no time to pick another tool or color, it doesn't want to stay around. Again, sometimes F6 and F9 also work fine. What could this be?
    It's windows 7 btw.

Clear canvas mode was designed to have no panels at all and they shouldn't be appearing so there's a problem there. If you want to pick colours while in clear canvas mode you can either use Ctrl-Alt click and drag to select colours from the popup picker (Studio Pro), use the Precise picker, or perhaps set up your normal interface so that everything is open and drop out of clear canvas mode with a right click then return to it.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

If I'm not in clear canvas it changes from a small square into a wheel if I use the short cuts.

Actually, I like it when I'm in clear canvas and I can just open the pod that I need instead of going back to showing all pods. It works fine for color samples and settings.

Another thing that happens to me quiet a lot is when I push a pod to the side I move it too far and it moves outside of my screen and I can't get it back because my mouse won't move outside my screen. I have to close the program and restart to get the pod back again.

When you're not in clear canvas mode, the shortcut will open the Picker or, if it's already open, collapse it in to a Pod, that's how the panel system works. Clear Canvas mode isn't designed for panels to be visible, so being able to show them at all in that manner is a bug. The only way you should be able to keep them is to tear the picker off the canvas, drag it outside the ArtRage window, then go in to clear canvas mode - Panels that do not intersect with the canvas window do not vanish when clear canvas is activated.

Regarding the pod problem you describe - How are you moving a pod? I'm not sure I understand what is happening when you say you move a pod too far. Just to clarify terminology: Pods are the small square representations of panels that you get when you collapse certain panels. They stick to the edges of the window so there should be no way to move one off the screen.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I call them all pods but I'm talking about the wheels. If I tear it off I can put it anywhere I like. But you have to put the mouse on the corner to move it. So I shove it out of the way and it moves too far so I can't get to that corner anymore to move it back. The other day I moved it down and the corner moved behind the taskbar and I couldn't grab it anymore.

I start to wonder if there are problems with my tablet. The cursor problem is back. I was using the knife and I was not in clear canvas mode. Every time I hit the tablet the knife cursor turned into a kind of cross hair, 4 little stripes. (I don't think that is even a windows cursor?) The knife also didn't do anything. Anyway I took my mouse instead and the cursor didn't change anymore. So I used my pen again and it was working fine.

Today I could get the color wheel to show in clear canvas mode using the keyboard, but the tool wheel only flashed for a sec. So it is different everytime.