ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Crossing - A Tribute to Courage

The Crossing - A Tribute to Courage

A little over a week ago, I toured the Trail of Tears State Park that sits on one of the crossing sites where the Cherokee people were forced to cross the icy Mississippi river from Illinois into Missouri near Cape Girardeau, Missouri. As many of you know, Sandy's great-great grandmother, was among the many Cherokee people that lost their lives on the Trail of Tears death march ordered by President Andrew Jackson and his corrupt administration.
    As I read and heard the story of that forced crossing at the low water crossing where the park now sits, I couldn't help but think of what that poor woman, and so many thousands of others endured in the shameful event in American history.
    After returning home, the mental image of what that crossing must have been like continued to stay with me, and I was moved to do my small scale interpretation of that tragic event.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail of Tears Crossing.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	420.4 KB 
ID:	66254  
    Last edited by barnburner; 04-20-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Very nice work... I suspect the only ice in Missouri & Illinois presently is the ice the Blues & Blackhawks are playing on...

Go Blues Go!!!!

Great painting Mike. I wish I could see this. What a terrible part of American history.
    I think it was my Grandmother's grandmother. Tragically she never was even to walk with her people and suffered a worse fate-if one could imagine that-a very horrific and barbaric act that until recently I couldn't believe to be true.
    We have another member here that is descended from Native American, but I don't have his permission to give his name.

Ken - Thanks a lot. Yep - on the ice tonight. Blues have a chance to go up 3-1.

Sandy - Thank you so much. So many horrible stories attached to the 5 tribes Trails of Tears. Thankfully, State Parks, and now a federal organization will keep the story alive so that what happened will not be forgotten.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Your compassion made You paint a really emotionally intense image, dear mate and You conveyed perfectly all the feelings You intended to communicate, I find.
    It has a sort of universal message, since it's but one of the thousand and more examples of oppression and injustice towards of a defeated or conquered population or of any pooor victim of power, arrogance and violence of any kind of greed or fanatism.
    Looking forward to Your next chapter of the moon thriller too ... I'm keeping an eye on Trey Beckman and Rita Kerrigan to follow evolution of a couple of doubts i already have and I'm also curious how could anyone ever simulate earth gravity on the moon surface not using centrifugal acceleration ...
    Last edited by Caesar; 04-20-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

BB what an elegant and moving work.. very well done I love the cold feeling an excellent painting of a tragic situation.. I am very impressed!...

love it. beautiful piece!

Caesar - Thank you very much. As far as the artificial gravity on the moon - This colony didn't get started until 2025. I'd love to explain how it worked, but unfortunately, the technology for this process was written in a language that has not yet been invented.
    Check back with me in about 13 years.

Gary - Many thanks. Very much appreciated.

Screenpainter - Thank you. I appreciate your kind comment.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Very nice dear Mike
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mannafig View Post
    Very nice dear Mike
    Thank you dear Amanda. Truly appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: