ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elvgren's pin-up (with Caesar's E-like silhouette added)

Talking Elvgren's pin-up (with Caesar's E-like silhouette added)

Here's the completion of my attempt to learn something from a reference illustration by the great pin-up artist Gil Elvgren.
    I hope You will like it even if I didn't keep details and precision too high ...

The silhouette is a personal idea Elvgren possily suggested me. Actually it was a preliminary linear drawing in a similar style similar than the one I made to start this painting (in the WIP Section and here in the halfway image), which cannot be shown here in the main though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Learning from Elvgren - Final.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	66227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inflation of Elvgren Pin-ups - Silhouette.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	66258  
    Last edited by Caesar; 04-20-2012 at 02:43 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Nicely done Caesar, got to love Gil Elvgrens originals.
    Geoff

very nicely done Caesar... I think they are getting better and better.. each one seems like color and accuracy of drawing/painting more assured... practice makes perfect..

Getting better each time Caesar! There is something about the loose flowing stroke that draws me in. I perfer to see less detail and let the eye fill in the gaps with shape and color. I'm inspired to try this type of style soon.

Thank You, dear Geoff. Actually I prefer Rockwell and Frazetta, I consider both superlative illustrators as well as a good fine artists, and their style, but also Elvegren has much to teach and ... most of all, deals with nice ladies and girls much more ... and with a mostly dissimulated naughty attitude that has some matching points with my own one I think.

Dear Gary, actually I got "lost in translation", i. e. I started with an accurate process in mind I didn't follow when I went faster and intuitive pretty soon. So I mixed color directly on canvas out of any palette (except the reference indications) in order to get Elvegren feeling and temperatures. I'm nonetheless reasonably satisfied since I see some of Elvgren substance to have passed in my copy. Thank You!

Thank You, dear Jbeau! I know what you mean and Elvgren painted also illustrations more "essential", mostly nuanced color areas and shapes without any crisp detail. I would attach herebelow and halfway version of this to see if it may fit better what You say if You just interpolate between the two to get color areas ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LearningFromElvgren2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	66252  

This is so well painted Cesare and love your latest lady paintings, looking forward to seeing more She is a real cutie
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thank You, dear Katie and Kenmo!
    You're too kind, but I'm afraid these last paintings may be lovely and spicy enough to make and see for a niche market , i.e. that of old guys like me .... as well as truck drivers, workmen and soldiers of a few decades ago. Today they would possibly be politically uncorrect (which is not always a bad thing)

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The path to color should be defined at a level almost illustrator'esk, but yet not lost in translation. Happy painting

Glad I understood Your indication, dear Jbeau! Actually Edouard Manet style was based on painted areas contrasts. He was both an academic painter and then an impressionist to some exent, who still used the black color nonetheless, so possibly my technically preferred one among the impressionists of that age, because he didn't discard any kind of lesson available to him, whatever the artistic dispute was then in Paris, to get the best out of his works. This is my thought least.