ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Tracing layer vs. Import to layer

Question Tracing layer vs. Import to layer

I've only been using ArtRage for about a week and can I just say WOW! It's completely rockstar and has drastically altered how I go about my digital art. Because of the software, I am much more free to explore styles and trains of thought that just were not possible for me due to technical hurdles in CS4. So, YAY, ArtRage makes me very happy and it's my new boyfriend. I could just gush on and on like a true fangirl, but I actually have a question..

When importing linework or reference art into the program, is there a reason why one would rather use it as a Tracing layer instead of as a lower layer set to low opacity in the "regular" layers? This is a big difference from CS4, and I'm sure there is something I'm missing that makes this tool very useful.

Welcome to the ArtRage forums KariedAway.

For line work, there really isn't much of a reason to use the Tracing feature, because you're only looking to draw over the lines. So importing it as a layer, would be just as easy. But if you were looking to paint a portrait in Oils, you might want to have a shortcut for getting the color plotted, which the Tracing layer could provide. For example, if you imported an image of blue eye as a Tracing, the color picker would automatically switch to using the tracing colors (looking at the color picker, it would say "Using Tracing Color"). If you were to click on the blue area of the eye, even if you had selected black before you imported the tracing, the color would automatically switch to the blue color beneath the area you clicked. Using this, you can easily and quickly block in your colors, allowing you to focus on cleaning everything up.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks, so much for explaining. That is a nifty trick to quickly build a color palette! I also like how you can directly control your tracing layer without having to constantly scroll down to the bottom of your layer stack.

(And thank you for the warm welcome! )