ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: IPAD 3 - still lags

IPAD 3 - still lags

Hi,

I just bought an Ipad 3 for doing some art work using ArtRage.
    I have the latest Artrage 1.4 software installed on my device.
    After using the application, I have noticed right away some lag when using brushes. The application is not as responsive as it should be. When you draw a stroke, the rendering doesn't happen in realtime. I seriously think that the software performance should be improved, I'm using IPad 3 and it is very supprising that with the new hardware and increase CPU speed, ArtRage is still suffering from some lag.
    I have tried StrechBook and it worked beautifully.
    To be sincere, this lag issue is the number one reason why this product is not maximizing its adoption on IPad. This should be the number priority for all your developpers at this moment, before adding any new feature, please first ensure that the software is usable!!!!!

I'm a big fan of the PC version and I have bought two versions of the software that I use everyday. This is a very good tool, great innovation and amazing future ahead. But, you guys needs to put a great deal of efforts to make the tool realtime responsive on the IPad as well. I'm a graphics software developper and I guarrantee you, this device is extremenly powerfull, specially the IPad 3, the problem is in the software.

Thanks,
    -Blaise

I am using ArtRage on the new iPad and don't have any lag at all, I did on the ipad2 it was quite noticeable.

When I do any painting on the new iPad I set it to max res 2048x2048 and still no lag. When did my first painting I tried every tool to see if it was faster,the only tool that does have a slight lag is the palette knife at maximum settings all other are fine.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

It's important to note here that the CPU on the new iPad isn't that much faster than the iPad 2, so you should not expect a big increase in performance. The extra processor power was put in to the graphics accelerator (GPU). As you develop graphics software, you will understand that while the GPU cores could be used for putting flat colour on a surface in a simple 'digital painter', they are not capable of handling the more complex processes involved in tracking the physical properties of paint.

ArtRage runs a simulation of the physics of paint, including monitoring things like how wet it is on the canvas and how much of it there is to facilitate blending and smearing/smudging. This can't be handled in the GPU so the application relies on the main processor. As a result, while your desktop computer will be running smoothly, you will probably find it slows down to some extent on the iPad due to the lower end processor.

The first thing to do however is make sure that you have followed the instructions here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=32970

You should make sure you close all parked applications and reboot your iPad relatively frequently as resident apps can sometimes cause memory or speed issues. This is generally the number one reason that things run too slowly, and most of our users find that after following those steps the application is significantly faster.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you

Hi,

I followed the instructions and the lag problem has been reduced noticeably. I'm happy.

Thank you,
    -Blaise