ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spirit stones

Spirit stones

... reproducing the textures of these "spirit stones" ("guai shi 怪石") dredged up from the bottom of Lake Tai (near Shanghai) in China ... Because they are created completely by nature (erosion) without human intervention, they are revered for their shapes and are thought to embody spirit transformed into stone ...

... first in a series ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 05-04-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Changing thread title
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Fantastic. Another piece of the puzzle falls into place. . . optically speaking. Spirits in stone, eh? Talk about a high contrast picture.

I find the technique to be rather artistic though not invasive. Rather like a grave head stone rubbing. . . which fits the theme you describe more than a little.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

... although it may look to you like a seated elephant, this is a conceptualization of a famous painting of a "spirit stone" by Emperor Huizong (r. 1101-25) of the late Northern Song dynasty ... He called it "auspicious dragon" (Xinglng 祥龙) ... and since this is the Year of the Dragon, it's a particularly auspicious time to draw dragons ...

... iPad, pencil and chalk ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xianglong ?? 0411 8a.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	65934  
    Artrage Gallery

absolutely beautifull..I love the subtle gray background and the way you build the shapes and shadows with the artistic crosshatch...

I like very much these spirit stones, lovely drawing
    Since childhood I have always collected stones, rocks and minerals.
    It is difficult for a westerner to believe that inanimate matter has a spirit, but not so strange being fascinated. And I love stones
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

I agree these are auspicious times.
    your work inspires me and also what you find out there is inspiring.
    thanks for sharing the ancient work as well.

I tried to put some shadow beneath the stone around the holes...but I failed.
    of course this was before you posted the work of the master.

Now I see that his dark ink shadows around the holes have an exquisite etched look.
    but in the process I did see a nice graphic result from the selection process, so thought I would share it with you.
    and a small adaption of your print.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 04-12-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks Gary, and Sylvy and SP for the kind comments ... SP, I like the masked out pattern of the first drawing, it has its own interest, and is a reminder that we always are drawing in two dimensions, one positive and one negative ...

Just to be clear, both drawings are mine, the first is a freehand composition based on several "spirit stones" in the Lansu Chinese Garden, and the second, the Xianglong, is a free interpretation of Emperor Huizong's famous painting, but really my drawing has very little to do with his ... After all, mine is pencil tool on AR basic paper, and his is expensive inks on priceless silk, and is a masterpiece
    Artrage Gallery

I thought the second one was by the Chinese master. fooled me. that is quite exquisitely beautiful. well done.

screenpainter... the second one is by the Chinese master..... chinapete!.