ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to Remove "Transparency Squares"?

How to Remove "Transparency Squares"?

Hi,
    I feel rather stupid asking this, but how do I remove the transparency squares from an imported image in Artrage? I have a PSD from another program that has a transparent background. I want to work on it in Artrage and print it, but I want to keep the background transparent. I don't want to have to bucket fill my background layer. However, I also don't want to see those "transparency squares."

If I go into the Canvas Settings, I can turn off things like Canvas Light, etc., but this seems to have nothing to do with these squares. The squares even show up when I print the pic!?!? I just want to have a transparent background, but not actually see the background. The best option would be to not see it while painting in Artrage, and also not on the printed object, but I'll take just not being able to see it when I print it, if that's the only option available. Thanks for any help. It's appreciated.

The checkers indicate that the background is transparent, in the same way that you see them in Photoshop. They're not part of the picture, they're put there to show where there is no background.

When you import a PSD file, the canvas opacity in ArtRage is set to 0% (because Photoshop doesn't have a 'canvas' per se, just a filled background layer), so just set your canvas opacity to 100% and the checkers will be hidden.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for such a prompt response. My question isn't what the squares represent- that part I understand. My issue is that if I keep a transparent background those squares are actually showing up on the paper when I print. Do I have to have an opaque background in Artrage if I don't want the squares to show up on the paper when I print? I'd rather just have it be transparent, which is what i want in general for my work flow, and have the canvas background not be any color at all when I print. ??

Currently the transparency squares will print (that's something we have noted to change). Setting the canvas opacity to 100% and colour to white will remove them, you'll see some slight canvas gradation over the area of the painting but that may not show up when printing. Alternatively, for now you can export the image as a PNG with the canvas opacity at 0% and print from the OS image viewer if you prefer.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Ah, I hadn't thought the OS image viewer would read PNGs. I hadn't tried that. That might be the easiest solution for now.

It's nice to know that, in the long run, you might be fixing quirk with the "printing of the squares." It's an odd thing.

On the note of Transparency in general-- it would be very nice, for instance, to have a completely transparent background, and yet not have to look at a checkered background the whole time. If it were, instead, just visually white, but it was actually Transparent according to the computer. For some work, using the simulated Canvas is very nice, but for other work I just want what I paint to come through and print on physical paper. For the second kind, I want a Transparent background to work with, but I don't want to have to look at those awkward squares the whole time even though it is.

Just my two cents as an Artrage user.

I like the transparency squares to remind me it is transparent for making stickers. otherwise it would cause confusion with white being a white background and white being transparent.

Oh, I see the applications for the squares-- such as what you're suggesting. I just don't know if I think they need to be there all the time. I just want to paint on transparency and print only what I've painted. I don't want to print faux digital "paper" on my physical paper. That's what I'm getting at.

Perhaps there's a way around this? Perhaps I should be painting with a canvas in place, but then removing it at the end of the process to just leave the transparency squares? That would work ok for me, if the transparency squares didn't actually print on my paper, which they do.

Does turning off the Canvas light accomplish this as well? It removes the lighting, but I'm not sure about the printing of "paper" on my paper.

I wonder if you painted using a white background and then exported as a png. I wonder if it would then retain the transparency because of the white area?

If canvas lighting is turned off and the canvas colour is white, nothing will be printed where the canvas is visible.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you Matt. That's a ridiculously easy solution to this, and very helpful. When I'm importing a painting with a transparent background, I'll just drop in a white base layer, turn off the canvas light, and print when I use Artrage-- presuming that means nothing is printed where the canvas is on the background. Perhaps, in the past, I had some backgrounds with just a bit of color, and that is why something was getting printed in the background. It was subtle, but clearly a different color from the actual paper.

BTW, I should still be able to paint with the Canvas on, and with Layer textures, Canvas Textures, etc. on, and yet turn the Canvas off at the end, have the white background, and therefore print nothing for the canvas background, right? I want Artrage's very good use of textures while painting, I just don't want the canvas to be printed.

Thanks!