ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Burnt Chips

Burnt Chips

This is one of the first pages of our next storybook app, Midnight Feast. It's coming along slooooowly.

This page has been partially programmed already, and that neon light in the background pulsates gently. The user navigates to the real main menu by tilting the iPad slightly.

Those burnt chips are meant to look unappealing, but sometimes when I'm hungry I think they look perfectly edible. Any comments from chip lovers out there? I might need to make them a bit more burnt. (They do look a bit more burnt before the sauce is on. The sauce only appears once the user touches the bottles.)

Oh and also, do those bottles look as if they're suspended in space? I'm having trouble grounding them because normally I achieve this by painting a dark shadow, but I've already used the darkest shade as part of the background. Any tips there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main-menu_a_reference.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	265.8 KB 
ID:	65884  

Great image for a story book!

For the shadows use a darker tint of the main colour of the object. So a deep yellow for the mustard and deep red for the tomato sauce. You can play with other colours too! :-)

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Thanks Brett,

That's normally how I do shadows, too. Except if the shadows are to fall on the dark surface, I'd do a darker version of the surface, not of the bottles of sauce, if you know what I mean. I doubt the surface of the table would look like darker red or yellow unless it were glass?

Actually, on second thoughts, I could make the surface glass and that might solve my problem...
    Last edited by Slap Happy Larry; 04-09-2012 at 10:25 PM.