ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: What is a good (New NB PC Purchase) screen res for use with AR?

What is a good (New NB PC Purchase) screen res for use with AR?

I tend to like a 15 inch NB screen, my current [Windows] NB PC is on its very last legs, so I will be replacing very soon. Assuming I purchase a WIN PC of the same approx physical dimensions, what would be the best purchase screen res size for use with AR? Are there any perfomance related issues * screen res size?
    What about processor type?
    (I also like widescreen if that is relevant to my query?)
    Thanks
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

17 is great in my opinion. The only issue is that, coupled with Intuos 4 Large I run out of room on the couch, Fast.

Performance wise, I would recommend an i5 or better processor and 6+ gb of ram. It will help compensate for a "mobile" graphics card. Get a discreet graphics card model if possible, but not 100% necessary. Better performance than "on board" versions.

A discrete graphics card?

Thanks for that Oakshios...
    Any comments from AR folks would be welcome also, regarding

• WSXGA+ / 1680x1050 / 8:5 (16:10)
    • WUXGA / 1920x1200 / 8:5 (16:10)

(For an intro article on above click here)

For some elaboration on "discrete graphics card" / (pasted from web)...

An integrated video card is "integrated" into the motherboard. That means the motherboard has a video card built in. A "discrete" video card means that you have a separate video card, one that typically plugs in to one of the expansion slots.

Also

A discrete graphics card is a module that has its own memory to allocate, where it does not share with the system ram....shared is very bad! unless you don't care about that it, lol

say you have a laptop with 4gb ram and a shared 256mb video card, that means your os will only be able to use 3.75gb's give or take a megabyte or so.....which is bad

certain high end laptops allow for gpu swapping so yes it is replaceable in some cases, but about 90% of the time it isn't replaceable
    Last edited by iceaxe; 04-06-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)