ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM - emotional linescape

PM - emotional linescape

" curves are so emotional" Piet Mondrian... from this quote I was inspired to do this painting . with the help of some nice AR tools and canvas from screenpainter.. and the pen tool..love that taper!...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PM-emotional linescape.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	65797  

I like this piece very much. Interesting how the large earth tone lobby becomes a place of great rest and comfort and green shows it is half warm.

The curves are minor but really the focal point as a contrast to the rest of the theme of straight lines and in that draw the eye. The value scheme is papa=mid, mama=light and baby=dark, just right. I like these Mondrian styles!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Albert, and Neal... thanks guys for the comments...great feedback on this..

I am really liking the last two paintings from you Gary. This one is a real winner and very striking to view. LOVE IT!!!!!
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

I Like this painting very much
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

Looks like a smiley face working in an office open cubicle. Emotional indeed. . . just don't show it. The stiff upper lip is beginning to buckle into a grimace or a smile. . . too soon to tell. . .
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Katie and Silvy...thanks for your comments... they are appreciated.

D AKey... really a smiley face.!??..

Yeah, when you get rid of most of the straight lines. Hey, you're the one who gave the quote that curves are emotional. Thus the straight lines are rather stiff, rigid, humorless, corporate. Hahah. Not really.

No, if you ever worked in a cubicle environment, you might get what I'm talking about. Sort of a Dilbert consciousness. Dry, t-square humor. Very few curves intrinsically based on other than the organic carbon based life forms. The curves that exist in said environment can get you a law suit or married. . .

And if you look at a floor plan that is by the emergency exits, it has a little of this feel. Also the texture you included reminded me of the fabric cubicle wall modules onto which you can push-pin your world. Not the stuff I would choose to surround myself with because that's what's been foisted on me.

Mondrian started out painting trees and somehow wound up the corporate poster child for design. He was also the guy who the page layout artists used as an art reference back in the 60s -- how to break up a page. Only natural really.

I happen to love curves. Straight lines have their place for sure, but they're fairly no-nonsense, efficient, and not nearly as graceful or lyrical. I also like Mondrian for what he had to say. At the time he said it, it was news and the "New" in the throes of the Industrial Revolution, it was something to be reckoned with.

Don't stop what you're doing though based on what I've said. I am just sort of explaining my comment. It's not an aesthetic stand. It's casual curve bending toward light humor (emotional like that smile curve in your picture to my way of seeing, not unlike a corporate jack-o-lantern.)

The coolest part of the picture and others in this line is the contrast of the opposing elements. Makes it dynamic. But the eye will go to the odd man out which in this case is the curve.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

D Akey... LOL... thanks...love the humor too...I am also a denizen of the cubicle work world..still... I was actually trying to use the AR CTRL key to get my lines straight and accidently left off too early and got the wonky line.. and somehow it threw in just the right slant to this.. then I added more lines using a slight taper to bend the NeoPlasticism rules a bit more.. as well as gradients and textures.. so I am kind of having fun exploring this and adding my own little twists...