ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 150 dpi verus 300 dpi

150 dpi verus 300 dpi

I have art rage pro, xp windows, bamboo fun
    Been having tablet issues. Working better
    My drawings are done with transparent background with 300dpi. Size 8x10 and 8 1/2,11. Mainly for the reprint value. Putting on mugs, t-shirts, photo prints, etc. Want the best quality. However, everthing is very slow. Would I have the same print quality with 150 dpi? I also think this might help tablet problem.

Speed will depend on your computer specifications, size of tools you're using and the size of painting you're working on. A 300 DPI image is larger than a 150 DPI image ( more dots )

-Do you know what processor your computer has? If you right click 'My Computer' and go to Properties you should be able to see this. In the same window you should also be able to see how much RAM ( memory ) your system has, please let us know this as well.

-Can you describe in as much detail as possible some of the things that appear to be slow, what you're doing at the time ( if using a tool, which tool and what size you're using it at ) and what you're seeing which indicates this? Is it happening more with specific tools or actions?

-What are the tablet problems you're having in as much detail as possible?

-Do you use your tablet outside ArtRage at all? If so, do you see the same problem there?

-I saw in the other thread you mentioned that your tablet is 'going crazy' after about 15 to 20 minutes. Can you describe what you're seeing at this point?

Changing DPI is unlikely to make any difference to tablet input problems. Less DPI = less dots printed per inch, so lower image quality when printed at the same size. If you're sending it to someone else for printing, I'd advise working with the size and DPI they recommend.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thank you Dave for responding,
    System-xp pro
    Version 2002
    Service pack 3

Intel R
    4CPU 3.00 GHz
    3.00GHz 0.99GB of Ram

I seem to have the problem mainly when using the touch function on the tablet. I will be using a tool and then trying to move the canvas to work in certain areas. The zoom is working it mainly is the moving. Some times when using the tool and then trying to use the move touch it won't change and I have an unwanted ink trail. I use a lot of layers to complete my paintings.

I mainly use art rage for art work so I haven't really noticed the problem with other apps.

I have programed my table for my preferences and that has helped a little.
    Plus, If I wait a little bit before I do the touch. It works better but slow.

I have tried all the different combos with art rage settings. Not really sure which to use. Realtime, Wintab, etc. or if that would even help.

Love art rage and what it can do. I do have customers waiting for their paintings and this just slows my work down.

Regarding speed, it looks like the problem is probably related to the speed of the processor and the amount of memory you have. You may see a speed increase if you turn off Multithreading support in the Preferences panel, but it's hard to say for sure. In general, increasing processor speed and RAM would help improve performance.

ArtRage requires a lot of memory to work compared to most other art apps due to the fact that we simulate real paint rather than just colour, which is why you might see more speed issues here. In this case, the size of the painting you are working on is significant and you are probably using more RAM than your system has, meaning the hard drive is being used to simulate more. That will slow everything down.

It's possible that the speed and memory issue relates to the touch problem you see as well. If you have turned off Use Realtime Stylus in the Preferences panel and restarted the app that disables the native touch support in the operating system, which should allow the Wacom specific touch support to operate unaffected. If that doesn't make a difference it probably relates to the processor/RAM notes above - The fact that waiting before doing the touch makes a difference implies this, as previous strokes may be completing while you are triggering new events.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you so much Dave,
    I will work on that!