ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Camellias thru screened window...

Camellias thru screened window...

... in a downpour ... freehand, with grid imposed ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

as a lover of all things gridded... I like this immensely.. I did save off your image into Photoshop so I could see it a 100, - 200% of normal as this image here as a jpeg suffers somewhat from the lossy compression of .jpg's also I have noticed that darker colors especially close in value tend to drop out.. I am sure the original on your iPad as much more detail than the .jpeg here in the forum.. I am still amazed at your ability to get the softly focused look... I have been trying but not getting the same look......

Gary, a rare sunny day here, so I ran out of excuses not to go outside and do a bit of landscaping :-)

I tend to use all three platforms, iPhone, iPad, and AR Pro 3.5.2 on a Windows-based PC, as I did with this one, with most of the actual work done on the iPad, and on each device the image looks different, so I worry that what I think looks great on the iPad, to others is a blurry mess ...

Also, I almost always export images from the iPad via Dropbox to AR (I guess that's a .pnt file, it's very large), do some work-up there, and then export from AR to the desktop as a .jpeg for further work on MS Office such as cropping, and then it's ready for uploading ... The final images on average are <100k (Camellias was only 11k), so I don't think the quality can be very good ...

The softening comes about through repeated applications of the chalk (pastel) tool, with pressure set at minimal, first using a Wacom Bamboo stylus, and then with the Nomad brush ... Frankly, I can't remember what sort of canvas/paper I used for this one, I wish there were a way to print out a list of surfaces, tools, adjustments etc. for each image to help me keep track and to make it easier to reproduce certain effects without overly relying on chance, accident, the will of the gods ... probably there is, and I'm just not aware of it ...

Further softening can be achieved by excerpting a detail and resizing that detail, then repeating the above steps with the chalk and so on ... When I'm working, I don't worry about color, I don't think about line, and I feel out the composition as I go along ... I'm focused only on the intensity of the final image ...

ps: I haven't found an easy way to impose a grid in AR, so I sent this one to an unnamed competitor software, hehe, imposed the grid there, and then continued on in AR ...
    Last edited by chinapete; 04-03-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    Artrage Gallery

It makes me think to how the world would look to eyes with cataract. Our mind would anyway try to see more than the veils would show ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Adding "scrap" work I used to create the version I first posted ...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Artrage Gallery

Interesting stuff

Earle