ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn Fog- Watercolors

Autumn Fog- Watercolors

I did this today in Paint Tool Sai and Artrage. About 2 hours of play time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autumn Fog.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	65711  

Fantastic!!!!!!!

Love the simplicity. It really breathes deeply.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

this is indeed awesome!!!

I like this this... not sure why, maybe because it evokes a lot from so little. I don't know. It is something I can look at and stare off?

My wife suggested a bit more sediment texture in the sky would be nice. She also wanted to see some greater color depth/contrast in the center/bottom to help draw your eye in more and give it a focal point.

However, I actually worked on letting it stay really soft, so my opinion is a bit divided. I had some line work/pencil work in it, but I took it out. I started to lay some darker shadows in at the base of the tree line, and at the beginning of the creek/road, but was concerned I might be acting too overbearing with the image, as it seemed to be staying very soft and wet with pale washes.

Still, some richer shadows, and a bit more texture up top might be worth exploring. If I get to it, I'll post a second version later today/tomorrow. That's one of the great pleasures with digital work-- you can play with and explore the image without fear of f'ing it up permanently.

Wonderful muted and blended colours

This look so simple as you have used the watercolour with such skill, watercolours have a mind of their own but you really told them who was the boss. Excellent painting which I admire very much
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Wonderful watercolor
    Agree with Katie!
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

Thanks very much for all the positive remarks so far.

For those who are interested, my basic approach is to build many layers of pale washes, which I then blend out, one after the other, as I see fit, leaving some sedimentary edges and grit. I know some people want to simulate the "spontaneity" of real-world watercolor washes, and so don't utilize many layers or blend modes or imported textures or stencils, but personally I find that sort of a skewed perspective that often falsely looks at the mechanics of painting digitally as a process that's antithetical to the experience of real world watercolor painting-- that's just an opinion of course. I actually find the two very similar in many ways.

My experience, personally, with natural media has been that its a rather slow meditative process of gradually laying down many washes of various colors, slowly building up texture, color, shadows, and contrast. Similarly, I use many layers when painting watercolors digitally-- just as I would dry my watercolors between washes of natural media. I often also import found textures or would use stencils after the fact, to occasionally give a more aggressive texture as well-- much as I might do by dabbing with a tissue, for instance. I also often lay down color, lock the transparency, and then blend new color into it, "pushing" against the edges, much as I might do if I were to lay down a bit of water in an area I was working in with natural media, into which I can place more than one color knowing that both of them will mix and yet not expand past the edge of the water.

Anyways, on this one I used about 15 layers, and painted on a 3000 x 2400 canvas. Something that I felt I might be able to crop and print at 200 dpi on a 12" x 18" piece of watercolor paper. I find 200 dpi works pretty good for watercolors, which are very soft, and therefore don't suffer from the negative effects that crisper-edged mediums do when printed at something lower than 300 dpi.

I hope some of that's helpful to someone. Any critiques or constructive comments are appreciated! Thanks for the views.
    Last edited by Steve B; 04-03-2012 at 08:04 AM.

very beautiful. it reminds me of the classic work of Chinese or Japanese artists with those artistic brush strokes. excellent.