ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Loaded palette knife

Loaded palette knife

Not sure if this has been discussed yet or not, but I am noticing that a loaded palette knife, when the loading set to 0%, there's a goodly amount of pigment coming out...

if it's a 0, shouldn't the pigment coming out be either none or *very* little?

a

If I set my Palette knife to 0% Loading, I don't get anything on my canvas, unless I already have paint down, in which case the palette knife smears what's there.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    If I set my Palette knife to 0% Loading, I don't get anything on my canvas, unless I already have paint down, in which case the palette knife smears what's there.
    OK..right...that makes sense, but here's what I saw just 20 minutes ago...

I'm putting down very light amounts of oil paint, smearing it around with one of the knives...the canvas is predominately orange, with areas of very sublty darker oranges...if you looked quickly, you'd just sense one color. no streaks, no marks.

So, I go in with the loaded knife set to 0 and it starts smearing the darker color as though I'd laid down a larger amount than was there, visible to the eye.

Maybe what I'm seeing is that the palette knife "thinks" there's more pigment than my eye sees...

any thoughts on what's happening?

a

Hi Archer,

At 0% Loading, the palette knife should be giving the same result as the old palette knife without the loading functionality ( the dial just adds varying amounts of loading to the tool at values above 0% ), it doesn't add its own paint but should smear it based on what level of paint volume is detected, or smudge it if it is a seen as dry media ( this is effectively unlimited if you keep smudging ) due to low paint volume on the canvas.

If you're using fairly heavily thinned paint, this will tend to be seen as dry media of its original chosen colour by the palette knife, it can't preserve the translucency due to high thinners in the media it smudges. I wonder if that might be what you're seeing there.

If that doesn't seem to be relevant to what is happening or you, could you possibly post a screenshot of what you're seeing if it's possible to demonstrate in this way?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

yeah, what I'm seeing is what looks to my eye as thinned-out paint, yet the palette knives seem to act as though there is a LOT of paint there.

is it possible that the art rage memory is hanging onto the paint that once WAS there, but not dealing with that paint having been thinned out?

seems to me, if I'm only moving paint that is there, and not adding any, then more of that thinned paint shouldn't appear, getting darker and darker.

a

If it's thinned paint then you should get the smudge behavior I mentioned, so if you keep smudging the thinned paint you will continue to get the darker colour for the reason in my previous post.

If that's not what you're seeing, can you put the file online with an indication of where it's happening and I can download it, or if it's less than 10MB, email it to me at support@artrage.com and I can take a look at it for you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Sounds like what happens when you use a thick paint over a textured stencil. The paint appears thin, because the stencil blocks it. But that's only what we can see due it being a 2D plane. Since ArtRage uses a 3D rendering system, it's seeing the sparse texture as tall paint blobs. Take the image below, for example. On the left (A), we see some sparse lines. But this is only because we're looking directly down, on top of them. If we tilt the image (B), we can see that the marks were not just lines, but tall rectangles, of different heights. If they were just lines, there would be little to knock over. But knock over the rectangles, and they'd cover far more area on the flat plane we were looking at.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example of paintsmear1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	65732

Keeping that in mind, if we use a thick paint and push it through a textured stencil, we seem to get a light, sparse textured mark. But pulling the palette knife over it, knocks down the stacked paint, which then smears into a darker then expected mark (left side). What most people would expect, is something similar to right side, where the paint is barely budged after having dragged the palette knife over it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example of paintsmear.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	65733
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.