ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Untitled ...

Untitled ...

... for Lima, who asked, and for anyone who wants to offer a name for this orphan ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 04-01-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    xiěyì, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

chinapete... I really like this and several right brain associations popped in..actually the first thing was "shroud of Turin"... the dark stains and the bloodstain red may have caused that.. So the concept of a shroud was so strongly implanted I had a difficult time shaking that.. so eventually I came to "shroud of the innocent" and all the associations with lost innocence.. I am probably way off the mark as to your real intention here but had to let you know where this took me.. I am reading "Warmth of Other Suns" by Isabel Wilkerson and that has had a marked darkening effect on me ..

China, my first thought was Golden Darkness, the beautiful golds and red against the black, very nice work

Hi Pete How does a side of beef hanging in the chiller suit you

I do really love this. To me it looks like a Scan of some sort , but probably not a veryy good title.

Name

Peering Through the Brame
    P.D. Dinkles
    El Jefe Bombero (jubilado)

Are you back from your trip now? I thought you were leaving for a while. Anyway, nice bunches of paintings that you have posted and deleted. I didn't comment thinking you were away.

Anyway, heavy stuff. Very artistic. Very 'by the flickering smoking light inside the yurt'. I can just hear the antlers cracking wise. Yes. . . I think the gods are laughing at us all.

This alludes to the binary dualistic view of life. Yin Yang, Creative Receptive, Active Passive, Male Female, 0 and 1. . . red and green traffic signals. . .

A thousand titles come to mind.

I only ever looked into the coins, never the yarrow sticks. I even had a friend program a random generator that used the same chances of three coins tossed. I was looking to see if the same principle of the waves that flow out from the center that govern the motion of less sentient stuff would include the random generated numbers from a computer. I have no definitive answer since it's all very general and open to interpretation anyway.

So by it not being holdable to the scrutiny of scientific repeatability, I came to look at it like many other ways of accessing what is within by introducing a springboard combined with wisdom, including a book falling open to a particular passage etc. But. . . it does have deep tradition and I think that as an overlay to a current situation offers much on many levels. . . not least of which is a possible way to access archetypes and collective consciousness. Like getting into the Muse's backstage dressing room after the show. Best take some flowers and champagne.

Very cool.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks, everyone, for suggestive titles, all of which give me insights into how others see what I've done, and of course reveal a little more about your personalities, hehe ... Gary, I hadn't thought of fabric, but as soon as you said it, I began to see it ... Unrelated to this fragment, I've been exploring a famous theme in the tradition, The Massacre of the Innocents, trying to see how I could simplify that idea away from Rubens and others, to make it relevant today ... Pat, if I could achieve that fiery moment at sunset as it is depicted in some early Netherlandish paintings, I'd stop painting (for better or for worse, neither will happen) ... eighty+, how did you guess, there actually is a companion to this painting, I'll be posting it soon along with the title for the diptych, "Beef and Chips," hehe ... Shibui, it's interesting that "scan" is a word I associate with the written text, poetry especially, and points to rhythm ... PDD, the narrowed field of vision does give the effect of peering in, but I don't know what a "brame" is, if it is a thing ...

D Akey, I'm about as back as Schrödinger's cat ... Did you know that in his description of that famous thought-experiment, Schrödinger offers a rather "artistic" illustration of indeterminacy at various levels of observation: "There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks" ... The ghost postings fell victim to indecision ... I put up sth and then later look at it on the computer and realize it's all wrong, have to take it down, revise, re-vision ... The thing about the I Ching is that meaning is found not in the final state, not in any six fixed lines, but in the change lines, which virtually guarantee you will never receive the same reading twice, even if the end states are the same ...
    Last edited by chinapete; 04-02-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    xiěyì, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Quote Originally Posted by chinapete View Post
    D Akey, I'm about as back as Schrödinger's cat ... Did you know that in his description of that famous thought-experiment, Schrödinger offers a rather "artistic" illustration of indeterminacy at various levels of observation: "There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks" ... The ghost postings fell victim to indecision ... I put up sth and then later look at it on the computer and realize it's all wrong, have to take it down, revise, re-vision ... The thing about the I Ching is that meaning is found not in the final state, not in any six fixed lines, but in the change lines, which virtually guarantee you will never receive the same reading twice, even if the end states are the same ...
    . . .Which makes in impossible to put under the scientific lens. Not only that, but the situation and person(s) change every time, even if the same person asks the same question. We are in flux and ever changing. And I personally have no problem with that being a constant -- that is the consistency of the inconsistent. And to talk of it further would be a huge personal digression and this is your show.

Anyway, fascinating points you make. And I am ashamed to say that although I am aware of the book by Heinlein, I never read it. Heck I think I even have it on a shelf somewhere or in digital form. That cat keeps popping up in intelligent conversations so I really should read it.

As to the revision, yeah, I do that all the time with my posts. I often see where I jumped to far and need to go back and bridge the gaps between my 'therefores'. What seems perfectly apparent to me would not to others as I reread something I might have said. And that voids my comment. So I get neurotic about clarity since conversations like this make it really fun for me getting clear in my own head. However, since it's about crystallizing vague ideas, I spend an inordinate amount of time posting and editing.

I see no difference with paintings that are supposed to say something, as in your case or with others' work that rely heavily on abstraction. Art in abstraction can almost be a re-enactment of inventing a new language process as with the fissures becoming written symbols leading to writing and reading.

Similarly, as you point out with the change lines, there can never be the same picture from person to person, change to change, moment to moment. And therein is some fun for the artist, to play with that while keeping the audience interested.

So I use writing like you probably use painting.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

What about "living flesh" with all its implications?
    Panta rei (everything flows)!