ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Murder On The Moon

The Murder On The Moon

Book Cover for the novel I have just started.

Foreword

On January 13, 2017, the 45th President of the United States was sworn in. In her inaugural speech, she set forth an objective of having a colony up and running by the year 2024.
    On December 7, 2025, that promise was fulfilled as the first lunar residents began to shuttle from earth to the surface of the Moon.
    As the first giant space craft specially built for this purpose began to lift off, the President, and her family watched from the residence in the White House.
    In the tradition of the early American west, these modern day men, women, and children, pioneers all, gave up the comfort and security of their established homes, in order to start life anew, as they went forth to face a future of challenge and excitement. They went to establish a living society in a place where human residence had previously been considered impossible. Everyone of them knew a certain amount of danger was involved in this enterprise.
    Not all of the dangers were anticipated.

Chapter 1

Pete Robbins sat at his desk as he tried to fight off the stress that was already building up within him. Five months after the lunar colony had been established, Chet Garner had arrived on the moon, coming in on a shuttle bringing maintenance parts, and replacements for some of the people who found pioneering to be too much for them. Fortunately, one of his agents at the landing site had alerted Pete, giving him a few minutes to get prepared.
    Facing the audio sensor for his secretary, he said, "Brenda?"
    Almost immediately he heard her voice answer, "Yes sir?"
    "Brenda, call the pharmacy and have them send up a months supply of something to calm my ulcers."
    "Is there a problem sir"? she asked.
    "Chet Garner."
    Having heard some of the stories from her boss, and others, she needed no further explanation. "Right away sir."
    As he looked back over his career, Robbins was mentally asking himself, "Why now?" His career in law enforcement and security, had began as a simple beat cop. Slowly but regularly, he had risen to higher positions by virtue of being a very good investigator, and, someone that did not make waves for his superiors. Pete Robbins was a man that believed you operated by the book. Not only did he feel that it was good for your career to do it that way, he firmly believed it was the right thing to do in terms of achieving results.
    Now, as the head of security for the entire moon colony, he had been overruled by the President on earth, who insisted that Garner was the only man who could fix the problem that had recently developed within the lunar colony. Chet Garner, at age thirty four, was not only not a book man, he had thrown it in the trash years ago. The thing that Robbins could not ignore, was that Garner was without a doubt the most accomplished investigator he had ever run across. The man was a natural. Unfortunately, along with his brilliance came two serious flaws.
    He was the most insubordinate s.o.b. Pete had ever run across, on the planet earth, and on the moon. He refused to follow instructions, and regularly told anyone, and everyone, to go to hell. Only the fact that he regularly solved cases that nobody else could solve, kept him from being thrown out of the service.
    The second flaw had to do with women. Even normally responsible and rational women seemed to throw all caution to the wind in his presence. That was made worse by the fact that Garner seemed to believe that it was his duty to satisfy each and every one of them. For some reason most of the women seemed to accept that it was just a matter of momentary pleasure, and held no ill will when he moved on to the next one. The same could not be said for the long list of their irate boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, and bosses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Murder On The Moon 900 12--.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	65615  
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

I like the theme of your new book Barney and picture is a good suggestion what the book is all about. Nice piece of fantasy and creativity working together.

Looks like this is going to be another winner Barnburner and the painting it great too
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Another great story Barney and very nice cover

bb... I like the art but I am more impressed by the great improvement in writing style... this really flows and gives a great sense of each character.. I am huge fan murder mystery genre.. I used to read them by the box full but now I listen to audiobooks.... and this start is a good one!...

Anna - Thank you very much for your kind words.
    Coops - Thanks. I truly appreciate it.
    Pat - Thanks so much. You are too kind.
    Gary - I really appreciate your comments. I've stumbled along the way, but the more I write, the more I'm learning. I used to love watching the old mystery movies, and then I got hooked on Mickey Spillane novels when I was in the Marines back in the dark ages.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Brilliant! The western epopee revived set in the future!
    Unfortunately it's hardly believable that such enterprise can be really afforded, least by any single nation in those forthcoming years, apart from China perhaps, if we look at its human resources size and economical and financial trends.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Fabulous dear Mike
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Caesar - Thanks a lot.
    Amanda - Many thanks. Much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Hey a new story to be told...great start...nice to hear from you Mike.