ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal tools presets

Universal tools presets

It would be helpful from a workflow perspective to have a tools preset palette that wasn't tied to a specific tool. On one palette you could have a couple watercolor presets, a couple palette knives, an eraser, a pen, a pencil etc.

Twaager Guest

Thumbs up A very good idea!

This function is very helpful. I use it every day in Corel Painter 12. The picture shows how it looks like in Painter. It really speeds things up. A must in Artrage 4. I think.

Absolutely! I also create custom palettes for Painter as well as for Photoshop using the Configurator. It saves a lot of unnecessary hand movement as well as allows you to tailor the app to support your own workflow.

It's a feature I love in Painter, but why not just set up a preset group of your own, and add your favourite tools with their settings to it? It does exactly the same thing then. Yes it is a little bit more work but worth the effort.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

How do you do that though? I can make presets, yes, but I didn't think you could mix tools in the preset groups. Where would you put it if you did? The idea is intriguing. Can you explain better what you're suggesting Nickillus?

On the Preset palette, there is a little drop down icon to the right of the New Preset button near the top. Drop it down and you can create a new Preset Group calling it whatever you want.

The thing is that the new group will be created alongside whatever tool preset group you have open so remember where you create it. I have mine next to the supplied Pencil preset group, because I start most images with a drawing.

So long as you don't click on a preset from a different tool group, you can now go round the tools, selecting and tweaking them to your favourite settings and then saving them to the preset group of your own that you have left open. At least that's how I've fudged it.

As I said, it's not elegant but it ends up supplying you with a customised preset group of all your favourite tools and saves diving around endless lists. Hope it helps until something as you describe becomes an option.
    Nick Harris Artwork

Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5

Nickillus- I've just tried to make that happen as it's something I've wanted too. I made a group and named it. I chose to make it along side the pencil preset group as you suggested. I made a few tweaks and added a pencil preset. Next I wanted to add another tool to the group so I clicked on the oil brush. When I did that the preset pallet switched to the provided oil brush presets. I think I'm lost on how to do what you've described. Any hints?
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Twaager Guest

Question I could not make that happen.

I followed the description how to make a preset group with different tools. But I could only add Pencil tools in the pencil presets, just like Fashmir. Not an olibrush or any other tool. How did you do that Nickillus?

Currently there is no way to add presets from different types of tools to a single
    group. The ArtRage team mentioned they may look into in the future though.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Many apologies - I got all excited over nothing -

You are talking to a complete berk unfortunately. Someonesane is right as he always is. The thing I thought I'd done has proven not to have worked. All the different preset tools have reverted to the original pencil reflecting where the group was made. How easily can a dimwit like me deceive myself.

However there are still the stickers, in which you can emulate all the tools and save a group with all your favourites there. After this last brilliant display I won't even venture to make any suggestions on this though. Someonesane - where are you?
    Nick Harris Artwork

Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5